• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

What It Means To Be A Search Engine Marketing Prof

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#16 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:40 AM

A sample of links regarding legality:

US: Advertising and Marketing on the Internet: Rules of the Road
UK: The Control of Misleading Advertisements Regulations 1988
Europe: Misleading and comparative advertising

#17 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 07:52 AM

>mooning old ladies has it's merits
offtopic: One of my co-workers is moving across the country and will be driving her car out there in several months. We were making jokes about picking up hitch-hikers, and someone said "but what if you get a pervert?" The coworker who's moving, a single woman in her fifties, grinned and said "Oh goody!" /offtopic

Anyhow, back to ethics.
A code of ethics is a good idea but it has to be relevant to be universal. I'd think it would be, and I'd think that people from all different backgrounds and cultures should be able to find that most of the codes outlined above were perfectly reasonable, but somehow there are a whole lot of people who seem to firmly believe (and with great conviction) that the only thing worth respecting is what can get you the most money, legal, ethical, or emphatically not. But this is the case throughout society and throughout the world, so I doubt that SEOs will be able to change that.
The challenge is mostly that since it's such a new industry, abuse is much easier and more likely to occur. So everyone has to fight a tremendous uphill battle against the sketchy practices of the most highly-public "seo" companies (because the ones that get in trouble are just going to get more publicity than the ones that don't; that's just how it works in general life. The city where i went to college had 5 of the top 10 girls in a certain sport's under-19 category living and training there, and they gave no press whatsoever to them until one of them was disqualified from an international competition for "drugs" because she'd taken Sudafed during a qualifying competition. That was all over the news [no mention of the Sudafed, by the way-- just "drugs"], but her teammate who went on to place 4th in the world? Never mentioned. That's just how these things work).
I've forgotten where I was going with that so I'm going to leave it at that. :thumbup: Senility, I guess.

#18 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 10:20 AM

A code of ethics is a good idea but it has to be relevant to be universal.

We are not looking for universality. That cannot be achieved because, as you later stated

there are a whole lot of people who seem to firmly believe (and with great conviction) that the only thing worth respecting is what can get you the most money, legal, ethical, or emphatically not.

OTOH we are not looking for exclusivity, either. We are just looking for what it means to be a Search Engine Marketing professional. :aloha:

I would say that respect for all parties is a good start. :D

#19 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:23 PM

> respect for all parties is a good start

Amen!!

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,