• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Confusing Change In Serps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 globi

globi

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I am utterly confused with the current state of Google affairs.

I have a web design company in Calgary, and my main traffic keyword is "calgary web design". My rankings have been very good over the last 2 years, and I know all of the companies I'm rubbing shoulders with on page one. We all have a high Domain Authority (as per MOZ), good content, and have been around for a long time.

Over the last month though, page one has been taken over by relatively new companies, with very low DA, shallow content, and thin link profiles.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how they got there or why they are there. Is this some spammy new technique that's currently working with Google? I have a hard time thinking that because Google's been doing a great job of cleaning up it's results.

If these newbies are using spammy techniques, I'd like to know what they're doing, but do not want to copy them as this will affect my longevity. However, if they just happen to be younger, smarter, and are implementing things us old folks should be doing as well, then I want to know what they're doing even more.

Does anyone have any insights into this possibly? And/or maybe any suggestions?

Thank in advance,

-Andreas

Edited by qwerty, 03 July 2013 - 09:44 AM.
Removed domain name per forum rules

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

I see you on the first SERP for that query -- at #6, with your name, picture, and number of G+ circles.

I don't know what you're using to check your rankings. I don't really care, since checking your rankings doesn't really tell you much of anything these days. How about your organic traffic, and not just for that one keyword phrase? Has that dropped?

#3 globi

globi

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Funny thing is that I'm back on page 1 every now and again for the last 2 days. But I used to be in position 1 consistently.

Organic traffic has dropped a LOT. The other keywords are much less important to me because they don't generate a lot of traffic. I used to be in position 1 for a bunch of keywords, but none even came close to the traffic "calgary web design" brought in (as in 80% came from calgary web design, 20% came from ALL other keywords).

Another REALLY strange observation. Being in Calgary, I know that Google uses your IP geolocation. If I search for "calgary web design" my position is now sometimes 6, but mostly around 12. However, if I just search for "web design", my position is much higher (between 3 and 5).

I do use MOZ for trending, but I usually manually verify with a browser in incognito mode that I have never logged into any Google account with (Midori Private Browsing).

Coming back to the original question though, how are these thin, badly linked domains outranking me?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Coming back to the original question though, how are these thin, badly linked domains outranking me?

Without looking at them, it's possible that it's exactly because they may NOT be doing SEO. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!