• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Slide In Help Menu With Faq, Seo Optimize

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

On a website I intend to have a "slide in help menu". With that I mean that there will be a Help button on the right of every page of the website, if this button is clicked then the visitor remains on the same page but a help menu slides in from the right (filling only part of the screen), the help menu is laid over the current page. The help menu would contain a FAQ section, which lists questions and answers.

My question now is how to approach this from a SEO perspective? The content of the FAQ section is of course nice content, and it would be good if it could be indexed. However, it shouldn't be indexed on every page of the website! I think it would be best to create a seperate page domain.com/faq/ where the FAQ content is also published and indexed. And then to make sure that the content in the help menu is not indexed.

Would this indeed be the best approach?

And how could I best make sure that the content of the slide in help menu would not be indexed?

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

What you're describing is employing the same content on every page as if it were in a column or footer but not not visible until called upon.  It's hidden by CSS and probably JavaScript (Mootools or jQuery). Seems to me that this may dilute the contents of the page although search engines are supposed to be able to decipher module-type content and not whine.

If you don't want it indexed then you need to employ an AJAX type function that calls the content only when the button is pressed. Viewing the page source will aid you in sorting this out.

However, whatever you do, think about it from the visitor's perspective. Is it going to improve the experience or aggravate him/her? Many sites over-employ hover activated (not even click) functionality that makes you want to ring something.

Edited by bobmeetin, 02 July 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Seems to me that this may dilute the contents of the page

Only if you believe in the "keyword density" drivel.

he content of the FAQ section is of course nice content, and it would be good if it could be indexed. However, it shouldn't be indexed on every page of the website! I

Then use an iframe as the overlay.

#4 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for the replies.

More opinions on this?

When going with an iframe should I block the robots from the url embedded in the iframe? And then put the content on yet a different url?

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

Since you wrote that

the content of the FAQ section is of course nice content, and it would be good if it could be indexed
it would be wrong to block the URL where the framed content lives. You want that page indexed. Because it's appearing on other pages in the iframe, it won't be indexed as part of those pages.

You might even want to link directly to the page itself from somewhere, just to make sure the bots find it.

#6 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

ok I understand what you are saying.

I was thinking though to perhaps block the url used in the iframe so that that is not indexed, but then publish the same content on a different url, which is part of the normal site, so that the content is indexed

does that make sense?

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Not really, no. I don't see why you'd intentionally publish a page to more than one URL, knowing you were going to block access to all but one. By that logic, you can publish it to 100 URLs and block all but one.

I can only think of one reason to do this: if you want the formatting of the page that appears in the iframe to be different from the look of the page that you want to stand on its own. But if this is just a matter of not wanting the content in the iframe indexed on the pages on which it appears, that's exactly what the iframe will do. It won't be part of those pages, so it won't be indexed as part of those pages. That's how an iframe differs from something like a server-side include. It will only be indexed as the document on its own, outside the iframe.

#8 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for the further reply!

I think I should have been more complete in my previous post. You mention: 

"I can only think of one reason to do this: if you want the formatting of the page that appears in the iframe to be different from the look of the page that you want to stand on its own.

"

which was exactly my reasoning for blocking the iframe page and having a seperate one:)

So in that scenario it would make sense?

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

Yes, I think so. There may be some way to use a script to determine that the page is opening in an iframe and to write inline style attributes to the page under those circumstances, but I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

This also means that the content that's going into the iframe won't need to have the rest of the site's header and footer, whereas the version that's permitted to be indexed on its own will. Again, I believe you can specify a particular section of a full page to be the only part that appears in an iframe, but again, you don't need to deal with that if you do it this way.

#10 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

This is getting way way too complicated, and trust me, I have a love affair with complicated and sister, over-complicated.

1. Use whatever method suits you to make the FAQ page invisible to search engines.
  2. Make up a second version, SEF happy version, of that page, add it to a link somewhere on site.

#11 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback from both of you!

I will proceed with the solution of loading the content in an iframe, blocking the page loaded in the iframe for the robots, and then adding the content to a second page which is SEF, has the normal layout, and will be indexed:)

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

blocking the page loaded in the iframe for the robots

Which bit of "the page in the iframe will be indexed at the URI in the src attribute" is confusing you?

There is ABSOLUTELY no point or sense in blocking the URL that the FAQ document is located at, simply BECAUSE that will exclude it from being indexed AT ALL, EVER!

No matter how many times the document appears in an iframe on other document URLs there IS only ONE URI that it can be found at! It can NEVER be indexed as duplicate or appear to be 'boiler plate' text for other documents, as it is NOT and NEVER will be included as content in the document it is displayed in.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

There is ABSOLUTELY no point or sense in blocking the URL that the FAQ document is located at, simply BECAUSE that will exclude it from being indexed AT ALL, EVER!

Yes, but he doesn't want it to display in the SERP as just text with no surrounding templated info. 

#14 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

If it's that important, makes 2 copies of the page, block the iframe one and make the one he wants indexed available via the main menu or sitemap.

#15 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,626 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

I think that's what he had decided to do, if I'm reading seobarry's last post correctly. :)

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!