• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

From Russia Without Love

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think Russia is a great place, with fantastic people - but I have zero business in Russia - and 99% sure I will never have any business dealings with Russia in an online retail capacity.

The only thing I get from Russia is a relentless barage of brute force attacks trying to break down my WordPress door.

My question is - should I just adopt a .htaccess rule to ban Russian IP-ranges?

Yes, I know, any hacker who is semi-decent will cloak their IP, but the bedroom idiot who thinks he is a hacker and using a hacking script-kiddie tool - all he or she is doing is sapping bandwidth.

Back to my question - if I ban Russia IP's - will I lose any SEO? Will Google think that I am involved in discrimination any sort of punish me?

Anyways I hope you get what I am trying to say here......

Thanks...

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

And me being with Russian heritage ... shame shame.

Well it's not just Russia, China, Poland, Canada, or Dorothy in Kansas. It's anywhere that people without scruples exist and they have found that they can get away with it.

Technically, it's your website, your policies, etc. I don't know that there is a legal reason why you can't ban IP blocks, some more notorious than others. Take a look at Project Honeypot for some information. Also, I think with Wordpress you're expected to install Akismet to help alleviate comment spam, no I didn't say eliminate and I don't rely on it.  There are more complicated ways, scripts, which you can employ that will eliminate the posts (90-95%) from posting and even becoming spam, but this is work. 

There is of course some risk in that you may be accidentally banning a few innocent travelers.

Will banning these blocks of cretins impact your SEO?  I really don't know, perhaps insignificantly, yet may improve the neighborhood. So, that's a definite maybe. :)

JIll, Chris?

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Yeah thanks for the reply - i dont mean any offense at all by Russia - its just that I really have no business with Russia - and that was just an example.

I hear you about innocent travellers/ visitors to my site - but even the links that I get from there seem to come from crappy spammy sites that are content scrappers.

I guess the problem is that once I start banning countries where does it end up? I'd end up banning everyone - probably best just to firm up security and keep it moving.....

Edited by lister, 29 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

No offense taken; I have a light-of-heart mind. I doubt the innocent traveler thing to be significant, but it exists.

I guess the problem is that once I start banning countries where does it end up? I'd end up banning everyone - probably best just to firm up security and keep it moving.....

You could of course ask your service provider to unplug the server?

You make the choices. Over the course of the past 5 years I've probably spent 3-4 weeks developing scripts to contain spammers, comment, registration spam, newsletter signups, etc. Your decisions will depend a little on your tolerance/intolerance and what tools you can install or create, and budget.

I have much of this stuff stored in a database, the bogus email address, links, etc.  With some of the forms I use a hidden field trick and if that field gets filled in, the offenders post get sent to the bit bucket and the IP address gets banned.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

I just block them at the server firewall by the CIDR group, it is less work for the server than having to load a large .htaccess file on every request.

Along with India, Pakistan, China, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Romania, large chunks of South America, Phillipines, and so on.

#6 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Isn't Yandex based in Russia? If you banned all Russian access, wouldn't you be denying access to Yandex' bots, which means your site wouldn't show up in their search results.

That might not matter to you, but I suspect that a substantial number of people outside Russia use Yandex as their search engine. I do - although only occasionally. If that's right, you risk losing that traffic.

Mike

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'd rather do without the 0.01% of Yandex users than waste time making sure that none of the several hundred attacks per day from those locales, get an opportunity to hijack or deface any sites. And the added bonus is that it keeps out the masses of linkdropping outsourced "experts"  leaving useless comments that have to be cleaned up every day of the week.

#8 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'd rather do without the 0.01% of Yandex users

Chris, is that figure based on anything in particular, or just a broad estimate?

Yandex's market share outside Russia might well be pretty low, but according to Search Engine Watch, it's now the fourth largest search engine globally, so perhaps it shouldn't be ignored. (Source.)

Mike

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Chris, is that figure based on anything in particular, or just a broad estimate?

The highest amount of Yandex referrals logged across ALL sites before applying the blanket ban.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

I use WizCrafts country ban IP lists. Here's the Russia one:

http://www.wizcrafts...-blocklist.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,