• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

4 Google Trust Factors That Can Provide Negative Signals About Your We

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

And I'm not convinced that they should even try.

I agree. I know that we are possibly making a bigger deal of this than needs to be made, especially when spelling and grammar is only one small part of a much larger pie, but why not let people decide for themselves if the content is any good? Sure, if a site really isn't about blue widgets, I don't want to be sent there because the site owner gamed his way into the SERPS. But really, I don't want Google deciding for me what is well-written, good, copy.

While spelling and grammar checkers have gotten infinitely better since they first emerged, there are some things that machines still can't really do all that well. I forget the author's name, but he wooed the world with his literary genius a few years ago, but didn't really like using periods. However, his books sold very well if I recall correctly. In a Google world, he might never have seen the light of day.

Funny aside, I googled "who is the author who doesn't like periods" and mostly what I got was pages about menstruation and pages about guys liking or not liking to have sex with women on their periods, and then, weirdly I got some Facebook page of some guy who hates writer James Patterson, who I didn't know because I don't read popular fiction. When I changed the query to "who is the author who doesn't like using periods" I got more grammar-related pages, but still never found the name of the writer I was looking for.

While I applaud Google's attempt to present searchers with well-written copy in a landscape where Amazon is letting any hillbilly with with a modem self publish their books -- there's a reason no publisher wanted your book, it wasn't very good -- there are still some things that a machine can't do well, and only the human eye and mind can decide if it's good or not.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

there are still some things that a machine can't do well, and only the human eye and mind can decide if it's good or not.

Which is why it will never be a major factor on its own, so no worries!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!