• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Are Centralized Images Causing Me A Problem?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I run five different adult blogs, each one is a different niche, so for example, jocks on one hairy guys one another, that sort of thing. I write original content for each post and don't get into any hinky stuff like a lot of my brothers in this field do.

Three years ago, I decided it made sense to put the graphics (collage of pictures) on one blog, centralize them so I could use them on whatever blog I wanted without having to upload them multiple times.

So all my graphics sit on Joe Blog, let's say, I might do a post on Joe Blog and use those images, but I may not do a post on Joe Blog but do a post on ABC Blog instead and pull the images in from Joe Blog. Sometimes, where appropriate, I might do a post on Joe Blog and ABC Blog, or on ABC Blog and XYZ Blog, and pull in the same images from Joe Blog to each of the others and write fresh text for each post.

I have taken a bit of a hit since the last Penguin, not massive, but enough that I noticed. So I'm looking at a bunch of different things.

I'm wondering if centralizing the images this way and using them on different blogs is potentially causing me any problems. Or it doesn't matter, they're just images?

For clarification, the purpose in running multiple blogs wasn't to create complicated linking schemes to game the SERPS. In my field it makes very good sense to have very niche-targeted properties because surfers who are into one thing might not be into another. Sometimes there's some cross over and that's when I'd do two posts on two different blogs.

Thanks

Michael

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

It's doubtful, but I'm not sure if there's a way to know for sure.

#3 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thanks. I always appreciate your insight and advice. Love your newsletters, always interesting to read.

• Jill likes this

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Somewhat off topic, but are you finding that your pages load more quickly because you're hosting all the images on what's often a different domain?

#5 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I can't really answer that because I don't remember how things were when I had the images on their respective domains. That was three to four years ago. But I'm not complaining about the load time.

Also, the images I use on my blogs are collages, so think of six images all stacked on top of one another using Photoshop with some pretty graphic text on them with call to action buttons and stuff, so some of them get as big as 800k, bigger than a standard one-picture photo, and as long as 2000 to 3000 pixels. And most of my posts will use two of these collages. But still, they're loading pretty quickly, I think anyway.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Not exactly the answer to your question, but did you see Matt Cutts' video this week about using stock images? It makes me believe that what you're doing isn't a problem. 

#7 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Jill, thanks so much for thinking about this and getting back to my thread. I appreciate it. I'm sure you've got people coming at you from 99 different directions asking all kinds of stuff. The fact that you remembered means something to me.

But don't you want to slap the person who posted the question? Matt says, "Well you know, maybe this will be a new signal ..." hahaha thanks, dude, one more thing to think about now. :)

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

hahaha thanks, dude, one more thing to think about now.

Well no!  The words were "maybe ... in the future" which does not mean "immediately start fussing about it"

#9 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Oh believe me, I got that it's not happening now. But it was just funny watching Matt's eyes light up and going, "Hmmmmm ..."

#10 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Not addressing the question here, however if all your blogs are hosted on the same server then network inconsistencies should be minimized.  But if they're not, you would commonly see some lag as the http requests are generated. I've seen Amazon widgets make a site crawl during Christmas season. More like die than crawl.

800 KB images are absolutely huge, and 2000x3000 pixels. Wow! Scaling them down certainly can't hinder performance. There is an expression, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

#11 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

2000 to 3000 pixels on the long side, about 600-700 on the wide side.

As I mentioned at the top, I run adult sites, so one picture of an update isn't going to give enough of a tease to make a sale. And when all your competition does things the same way, throwing up one picture or two is going to be underwhelming to the surfer. Just the way it is in my world. And everything is on the same server. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!