• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google.com Ranking Issue

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

See the content articles from our blog as well. 

#17 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

I'm interested in this, too. I have a client who also happens to be in Canada.  They want to attract vacationers from all around the world to come to their wilderness lodge.  Their site is optimized and they do get some decent search engine traffic, but (for obvious reasons) it is weighted to Canadian and U.S. peeps.

I'm in Canada, so I googled wilderness lodges and in the top ten I get 6 results that are in Canada, I get a trip advisor and Disney link and one result in Kenya, and an article about wilderness lodges in Canada. In fact most of the results in the top 20 to 30 are all Canadian.

I had my friend in Serbia google the same thing and his first four results were three from Kenya and one from New Zealand. None of the Canadian ones appear in his top ten. So I guess Google assumes that Serbians don't like travelling to Canada.

It's unfortunate that Google assumes that because I live in Canada that I want to go to a wilderness lodge in Canada. Actually, if I were a true wilderness nut and liked to travel, I'd probably just google something generic without a country locator and see what I got.

If I'm open minded, have money, and can travel, do I care whether I'm staying at a wilderness lodge in British Columbia, Montana, Sweden, or Germany?

So it seems to me that your client's searchers are going to have to throw Canada in their search string, which assumes that they even think about going to Canada and which also means that your client is going to have to rely on alternate means of getting Aussies to think about Canada when thinking about their wilderness vacations.

I think Google is trying so hard to give people what they think they want, i.e. I'm a Canadian so I want Canadian results, and in the process are missing out on giving me what I really want, which is a wilderness vacation anywhere.

#18 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

It isn't easy giving the people what they want when there's a world of results to choose from and the people aren't being specific. In the absence of additional information, it makes sense for Google to default to relatively local results. I imagine that if your search history had included a lot about Mexico, there's a better chance that a place in the Yucatan would have found its way into the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!