• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Could Really Do With Some Advice Here

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trishH

trishH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

I have a few websites - 2 of which make the most (relative) money for me.  In 2011 I was earning up to £400 a month from these sites, and I've done an awful lot of work on them since, adding lots of original content.  They are information websites, and the money comes mainly from AdSense.

Now I'm lucky to make £150 a month - which was not the idea as I was made redundant and wanted to try and build my own business.

Last year I paid out £600 for consultancy advice - I thought I was paying for SEO, but it ended up as SEM.  As I get 26% direct traffic this has helped, but I don't think I got the best advice.

My earnings started dropping in Jan 2012, but I was advised as my page rank remained the same it was nothing to do with black and white animals, however with a further drop towards the end of last month I believe I have been caught up with Penguin, but I have received no warnings from Google.

The only thing I have done wrong is that in late 2011/early 2012 I wrote about 20 articles, and used Submit Your Article to syndicate these for me.  Could this have upset Google? 

I keep looking at my links in Webmaster Tools, and wondering if I should use the disavow tool for the links from the Article sites.  What I really need is an expert to look at these for me, but with my extremely low income from the sites I haven't the money to spend.  I do believe that there is mileage in the sites and am continuing to put the work in.

Sorry for the long post, but my main question is, could I have got caught by the Penguins, and was the submission of the articles the reason for my sites dropping?  And should I remove the links to the article sites?

Thanks for any assistance or advice!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,662 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

...I believe I have been caught up with Penguin, but I have received no warnings from Google.

You wouldn't have gotten a warning about Penguin. The "unnatural links" message is for manual penalties.

So the sites make money strictly from AdSense, and you're using PPC to drive traffic to them? Are you paying less than you're earning at least?

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,430 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

The only thing I have done wrong is that in late 2011/early 2012 I wrote about 20 articles, and used Submit Your Article to syndicate these for me.  Could this have upset Google?

Possibly but probably not.

The most likely scenario is; Any links that you may have come from that exercise and were 'helping'  have now been "devalued" and therefore no longer 'help'

I do believe that there is mileage in the sites and am continuing to put the work in.

Then do some real promotion to real people rather than "article dumping", read the articles in the  Tips for new SEOs thread

#4 trishH

trishH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Possibly but probably not.

The most likely scenario is; Any links that you may have come from that exercise and were 'helping'  have now been "devalued" and therefore no longer 'help'

Then do some real promotion to real people rather than "article dumping", read the articles in the  Tips for new SEOs thread

Thanks for replying.  I didn't get any value from the links - traffic started dropping and continued to do so during the article submission.  Which is why I thought there might be a link.

I haven't submitted an article since March 2012 as I found this method did not work!  Trying out the article submission service was the first time I've ever deviated from completely white hat techniques - and I started with my first website in 2005!

I have an active forum on one site, a very active FB page for the other main site, I get considerable traffic from FB and TripAdvisor for that site - people rate the information I provide, and yet I'm still dropping in the SERPS!  The problem is that if this continues then it won't be worth my while updating the sites.  This sounds big headed I know, but I think it would be a loss going by the emails I receive from site visitors. 

You wouldn't have gotten a warning about Penguin. The "unnatural links" message is for manual penalties.

So the sites make money strictly from AdSense, and you're using PPC to drive traffic to them? Are you paying less than you're earning at least?

Thank you.

I don't use PPC for traffic - the only time I have is when I had a free voucher for Adwords and it proved that it wasn't cost effective.  I rely on the SERPS and referred traffic.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,430 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

I rely on the SERPS and referred traffic.

Then forget about "SERPs" and get better, NOT MORE referral traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!