• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Url Depth Vs Keyword Usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

When I originally created my site structure I had keywords in mind and wasn't thinking at all about page depth.  I run a fantasy sports-related website, so my directory structure looks like:

/fantasy-football/nfl/cheat-sheets

/fantasy-football/nfl/player-tweets

/fantasy-football/nfl/free/printable/offense/quarterbacks

/fantasy-football/nfl/free/printable/offense/running-backs

/fantasy-racing/nascar/cheat-sheets

/fantasy-racing/nascar/cheat-sheets

/fantasy-racing/nascar/driver-sheets

/fantasy-football/nfl/free/printable/offense/drivers

So there is very little content at a depth of level0 (root), little level1 (fantasy-football),  and zero pages at level 2 (nfl); almost all of the [url=http://searchengineland.com/070531-115312.php]Real[i][/i] Content[/url] is at level 3 or deeper.  Am I hurting myself more with the depth of my pages vs any possible gain by keyword inclusion in my urls?  My hunch is yes, but I'm wondering if the hit is enough that it would warrent a re-architecturing effort. 

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Am I hurting myself more with the depth of my pages vs any possible gain by keyword inclusion in my urls?  My hunch is yes, but I'm wondering if the hit is enough that it would warrent a re-architecturing effort. 

Nope. The "apparent" depth has nothing to do with anything. It's only important how you link to each pgae. 

#3 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Nope. The "apparent" depth has nothing to do with anything. It's only important how you link to each pgae. 

So the only 'depth' I should be concerned with the is the number of clicks that it takes from my home page?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,869 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

I should be concerned with the is the number of clicks that it takes from my home page?

Not just the 'home page' but from EVERY URL on the website that has links pointing to it.

The (now dumb) idea that 'all links point to Home' is a hangover from last century, when directories where still 'useful' and would only accept links to the root URL.

If you are marketing and promoting correctly you should be promoting (getting links) as many URLs on your website as you possibly can.

#5 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

So the next question is: wouldn't it then make sense to ensure your top content is only 1-click away from your home page (or any other page for that matter).  For instance, I have a few pages whose rankings have dropped to the 2nd page and are currently 2-clicks away from my home page.  Wouldn't it then make sense for me to just link directly to them from my home page?

Obviously having a link to every page in your site would be extreme overkill, but how do you know if you're overdoing it?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

So the next question is: wouldn't it then make sense to ensure your top content is only 1-click away from your home page (or any other page for that matter). 

Nope. Because then you will be splitting the internal link popularity too thinly between every page.

You want to point to top-level, important category pages within the global navigation so that every page links to them. This gives them lots of good internal link popularty and Google PageRank. Then each subcategory page should get pointed to from within it's own subcategory section via some sort of sub-navigation.

And so on and so forth.

#7 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

That makes sense.  Thanks so much Jill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!