• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Developer Who Wants To "seomatize" His Site

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 schwarzes

schwarzes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hello,

I a developer and not a designer or seo analyst or anything. I have recently put up a portfolio page, where I have written about myself, the work I do and snapshots of work done in the past. However I have a question regarding SEO which I would like to ask you all.

I have made a single page site, which scrolls to content instead of turning pages. I am not sure if these kind of sites are good for SEO. I have read many places where they say that single page websites are hard to rank, and in some places they say it is "ok" if you have the keywords "organized". If it is alright, then what tips should I follow to make my site more seo optimized.

Thanks,
Patrick.

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

Read: http://www.highranki...s-for-new-seos/

I'd imagine that it will be more of a challenge because rather than developing (expanding) pages based upon one or perhaps two topics (key phrases) you now have it all bundled and spread thin in one package. 

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I personally don't think a one page scrolling site is usually the best for usability purposes either. They're usually just weird, imo.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

+1 Jill.

Being a developer look-alike, I'm familiar with lots of gadgety things that we can implement on sites to make them cool. This includes accordion menus and accordion type functions where you click on a title, say a FAQ title, and expose a hidden answer. If the page is really really simple, they can be sort of fun, workable, but then when you start to build up quantity of titles and the titles disappearing out of the field of view, they become aggravating.

You have to balance usability with cool.  I see some 'cool' stuff with google group threads that I find obscenely annoying.

Also be careful with AJAXY hidden content. Some of this is super effective for site administration, but invisible to search engines. One shopping cart package I evaluated used it for creating tabs for reviews, what's in the box, etc on product pages.  All invisible.

#5 schwarzes

schwarzes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I did not include my link here coz I think that would be link promoting ( which I hate myself being in various web development forums).

I know some people don't like one page sites which make it a little confusing as well as "wierd" as Jill said. But I have kept my site simple and clean and provided as much important information as I can.

Jill, is it ok to post a link here so that you all can see my current site ?

Patrick.

HR5, I agree with you. I can also do a lot of animating stuff on a page, but I didn't do them. I have kept it simple and straight forward. No use of Ajax, coz I know google can't read them.

However I am still concerned if a single page can rank better than multiple pages, which are my competitiors. That's the reason why I asked this question.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,846 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

The link in post #2 .....

Pop off there and do some serious reading.

Then come back and let us know if you still think having ONE URL targetting two or three key words or one phrase is good "SEO"

Edited by chrishirst, 09 June 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Jill, is it ok to post a link here so that you all can see my current site ?

No sorry, it's not. We don't offer reviews here anymore. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!