• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Url On Iis With A Shopping Cart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jenbeast

jenbeast

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hi - We are a newish company and doing a little brand-expanding and we know that we want to change our domain name. We already have the new domain name and are forwarding it to the current website domain name (I actually posted about this same site here before-but our situation has since changed).

Eventually we are moving from an ASP shopping cart to BigCommerce. We were going to change URLs and shopping carts at the same time but now we have a campaign happening that's going to bring a lot of traffic to the new domain name before we are able to finish setting up the new cart - and we don't really want people seeing the old domain name after the new one redirects, which is what's happening now.

So I want to change the URL of the current site and shopping cart which is on a Windows server. All the file names will remain the same as well as the site structure and content, but it will all be under the new URL. I thought that using 301 redirects was the best way to do something like this but I'm getting conflicting info on this now so I wanted to check here.

Basically, I'm wanting to do this the best way, the way that minimizes the impact on the Search traffic (which is pretty minimal still) and keeps all our back links working (the source of most of our traffic is referrals and repeat customers)?

Thanks for any feedback!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

and we don't really want people seeing the old domain name after the new one redirects,

With a permanent redirect implemented ... they won't.

Basically, I'm wanting to do this the best way, the way that minimizes the impact on the Search traffic (which is pretty minimal still) and keeps all our back links working (the source of most of our traffic is referrals and repeat customers)?

Which is a permanent redirect.

#3 jenbeast

jenbeast

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks so much for the response. I just realized something else - the redirect that is currently forwarding the new domain to the old domain is 301/permanent redirect. Are there any terrible ramifications of this now that I will be removing that redirect I had set as "permanent"? Thank you so much!

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

It's only 'permanent' while it is still in place.

#5 jenbeast

jenbeast

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

We have a lot of backlinks to our site - ones that go to specific product pages - some to pages that would be hard to find just browsing the site - I think it's important to keep those. I've read I could duplicate the site (in IIS7) and use 301 redirects on specific pages to make sure they are found because I've also read Google gives these links a rating and if we have one big redirect to the homepage of the new domain we'll lose this page-rating. 

Besides the tedium of individually redirecting pages and the cost of keeping to sites hosted, is there a reason NOT to do this?

Thanks again,

Feeling overwhelmed

:sorry:

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

You do not need to do anything of the sort.

Smart 404 page.

http://www.highranki...e-2#entry242355

PHP version in the last post

.NET version being worked on.

Fill the array.  Point the old site to one host and let them redirect to the new URLs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.