• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Uris And Parameters

Best Answer chrishirst , 01 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

I am wondering how much of an impact on seo changing my links to something like this would have:

None whatsoever.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lordtuber

lordtuber

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:13 AM

One of my sites is multingual with 15 languages, and each uri uses different languages, and is parsed by .htaccess. Because of this I have almost 15,000 lines in my .htacess file, which at 500 visitors a day, doesn't have too much of a performance issue, but I'd rather not have a such a large file. .htaccess is generated autmatically by our system, so managing the .htacess file isn't a chore, but it's just so large.

I have tried using loops in php instead to parse the links without having to resort to .htaccess, but it's terribly slow - the .htacess is much faster.

For example, I have a link like this:

/English/Cars/Mazda/

At the moment the .htaccess file deals with that, where each item is assigned a parameter ie. English-> lang=1, Cars -> topcat=3, Mazda-> subcat=5. Looping through it would mean searching for the language name in the database via a loop, then getting the numeric id for the language, then searching for Cars in the database for English, then getting the numeric id for the top category, then looping again and searching for Mazda for English, then getting the numeric id for the subcategory. It's okay for a single language site, but with 15 languages, it's slow.

I am wondering how much of an impact on seo changing my links to something like this would have:

/English/Cars/Mazda/l/1/tc/3/sc/5

This way I could just use the numeric codes to search the database without so many loops, and the nice human-readable text is still in the URL. But will this have a negative effect on seo?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,411 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:43 AM   Best Answer

None whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!