• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Genesis Framework For Wordpress?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa-BFWM

Lisa-BFWM

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

I have been using same themes for a long long time. I am happy but looking for a change. I am thinking of investing in Genesis framework and themes.

http://my.studiopres...themes/genesis/

recommendations welcome!!!

Is the the way to go or are there some free current clean themes out there that I don't know about?

Thanks!

Lisa

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,110 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Personally I wouldn't spend ANY money on a "framework"  when it is not particularly difficult to convert a design image to a WP theme if you know HTML & CSS reasonably well.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

I think the point of frameworks like Genesis or Thesis is that they help create a wide variety of site layouts and themes without having to re-code core features every time. I know some people who are expert developers who still use frameworks to speed up their theme development. And they're a godsend for people who want to develop a variety of full-featured sites but who don't know HTML/CSS and don't want to be beholden to a designer or developer for every little change they want to make to the site layout.

Personally, up until now my M.O. had been to find a theme I like and tweak it to suit myself. It's easier than starting from scratch every time, and I don't run into the constraints that a framework will inevitably build in to the process.

So, sorry, Lisa, I don't have any personal experience with Genesis to report.

That said, I've been thinking of experimenting with frameworks, because I have a LOT of sites under my care, and I'm thinking that employing a framework might be a handy way to keep their themes visually "current" with less hassle. But I'm a cheapskate, so I'm wary of locking myself in with a paid framework, only to find out it's not "The One." My feeling is, by starting with a free framework, I can experiment and see if the paradigm works for me without spending any cash out of pocket. (We cheapskates hate spending cash out of pocket. ;) )

Lisa, if you're interested in frameworks but not sure if you want to spend money for one right now (and maybe not ever...) you might find this article on frameworks from the WordPress Codex helpful, as well as this review of seven free frameworks posted at WPMU.org.

--Torka :propeller:

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

And if you prefer the more robust support that usually only money can buy, I came across this WPMU.org article (similar to the one I mentioned above) that reviews seven premium (i.e. you-pay-for-them) frameworks, including Genesis.

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,110 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Personally, up until now my M.O. had been to find a theme I like and tweak it to suit myself. It's easier than starting from scratch every time

You should download Chris Coyer's Blank Theme and use that for the skeleton, it's much easier than fighting with the "everything and the kitchen sink" themes that people put together.

#6 Lisa-BFWM

Lisa-BFWM

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Torka- your situation and "frugality" seems similar to mine. I have no problem tweaking and re-working my own sites but I have so many sites i work on for others and can't spend that kind of time on theirs.

It used to be thesis everyone loved and now the new one is Genesis. I see it popping up and recommended on respected sites that wondered if i was missing out on something. The cynic in me cant help but think their is a monetary agenda going on as well... 

One theme that works well for small businesses/site owners who want to make changes to styling , etc easily and have no CSS knowledge that  I like is flexibilitytheme.com/ .

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I am going to give both a try :-)

Edited by Jill, 31 May 2013 - 07:21 AM.
Removed live link

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

You should download Chris Coyer's Blank Theme and use that for the skeleton, it's much easier than fighting with the "everything and the kitchen sink" themes that people put together.

HTML5Reset is an update of the Blank Theme (to be HTML5 compliant) and is one of the seven free frameworks reviewed in the first WPMU.org article I linked to. :)

I'm thinking about experimenting with that one maybe one of the others. They've all got pros and cons, so I'd like to be able to compare/contrast and see which I like better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!