• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

To 301 Or Not To 301, That Is My Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Plunderdog

Plunderdog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

I am taking on a redesign of a site that is nowhere to be found on google.  Was built 15 years ago and SEO was not even a thought.  I am going to building the new site with SEO very much in mind.

My question is since they are invisible to Google currently is 301 redirecting even a concern?  Or is simply better to start from scratch and carry on correctly going forward.  Everything is going to be different, linking structures, it will be a Wordpress site, ect. ect.

I gues a secondary question in this area would be this...there site is HUGE!  There will not be a one to one conversion of pages since like I said we will be going with wordpress.  If 301 redirecting is nessesary what will be the best way forward?  In this situation would 301 redirecting the home page be sufficient.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Mods, I think I am in the right forum, but please feel free to move me if I am not.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

It's always best to 301 as much of the content as possible.

That said, if it's too difficult or too many to do then your best bet is to use Google Analytics to determine which pages currently get direct search engine traffic (you may be surprised) and minimally redirect those ones.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

If there are numerous pages on the old site that deal with pretty much the same topic, you may find that it makes sense to redirect all of them to a single page on the new site. Under the right circumstances, that's good for users because they'll be able to more easily find the single page that deals with that topic, and it will allow you to consolidate whatever strength the many pages had into the one.

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

nowhere to be found on google

What does that mean? No pages indexed? No traffic?  As Jill says, use analytics software (Google or whatever you have) to determine whether there is any traffic, and to where. 

301s aren't only useful for SEO, they're also useful for redirecting direct links from other websites to a more appropriate landing page on a new site. So check your "landing pages" report in analytics and set up 301s for the top URLs there, too.

Consider also adding a 404 handler to catch requests for the thousands of pages that will no longer exist.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Consider also adding a 404 handler to catch requests for the thousands of pages that will no longer exist.

Funny you should mention that Alan :)

'cause I've just posted this

#6 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!