• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Are Wordpress Tags Useful For Seo Pusposes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shawon2170

shawon2170

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

Hi everyone,

I saw more wordpress sites using tags on their sites in many ways and I'm wondering that wordpress tags useful for SEO pusposes?
if yes, can you show me some reasons why?

Thanks.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,959 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

All delends on what you think are "SEO purposes"

BUT,

They are usually a confusing mess of words for visitors, and are often getting close to "keyword stuffing" for search engines.

So generally it's a no from me.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

If you have a limited number of them and use them as categories then they can be helpful to people, and thus search engines. Otherwise, they can actually cause search engine problems and duplicate content. 

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,959 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Another Matt Cutts video.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

See also my article on Duplicate Content. Scroll down about halfway to "Tags That Go to Infinity and Beyond."

Using WordPress as your CMS isn't always the answer to duplicate content issues either. Many sites that use it go crazy with their tagging of blog posts. New tags are made up for every new post, and each post gets tagged with a handful or more of them. What happens next is that Google indexes the zillions of tag landing pages, which either has just 1 post tagged or they have the same posts as a bunch of other tag landing pages. It's especially bad when the tag pages provide the complete blog post rather than just the first paragraph or so.

My recommendation for sorting out that kind of mess is to create only a limited number of tags that the bloggers can use -- perhaps 20 at most. If for whatever reason that's not possible and you want to use your tags for keyword stuffing (a la The Huffington Post), then be sure to add nofollow to the tag links and noindex to the tag landing pages to avoid mega duplicate content Google problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!