• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Desgin And Adsense

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shawon2170

shawon2170

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

when i design my sites i use to put an banner ad space on the header next to site logo but i got email from adsense who suggest me to move the banner down, closer to my main content for have better results.

I have 2 problems with that,
1. How i will add the banner closer to my content with out make the site looks ugly (the page width is around 950 and the banner 728 and left lots empty space left and right of the banner and in my eyes looks ugly). And in the other site suggest to use 336x280 who is way harder to find a way to add it.

2. What to add in the empty space on the header after i remove the banner ?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,550 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Those are just suggestions. If you think they'll make your website look terrible, you don't have to implement them.

It's true that putting your Adsense ads closer to your content will generally get you better results -- people tend to have "banner blindness" when something is positioned up at the very top or bottom of a page and looks like an ad. On the other hand, making your site look like crap isn't going to be good for anybody.

Perhaps there would be some other ad units you could experiment with in other positions on the page. If the only thing you have on the page is the banner ad across the top, you are allowed to add more units. (If you already have one or two others on the page, though, make sure you're not going too far in the other direction. Too many ads is probably even worse than too few.)

--Torka :propeller:

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

I agree with Torka. In my experience, these suggestions from AdSense are not always helpful, and often go against what works best for the site in question. The suggestions are presumably generated by some sort of algorithm, and this clearly can't match the judgement of an experienced designer.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't experiment with different ad styles and placements. But, when you do, you should always have regard to the quality of your design - and, ultimately, to the quality of the page.

I often receive messages from AdSense telling me that I should convert my ads from text-only to graphics / rich media. But the site in question is one that does not lend itself to flashy images or animations. I always ignore those messages. In other cases, I usually consider the suggestions carefully, but I rarely go ahead and do what they suggest.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!