• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Decreased Organic Searches And Visits To My Google Sites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MarkStrobel3367

MarkStrobel3367

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Approximately 3 months ago, I created a Google Site to replace an existing site that I had hosted with Go Daddy for several years.  I made this change primarily because of a number of coding errors made by previous hired web designers.  Since Google Sites allows me the ability to manage my own site, I thought that this would be a wise choice for me. 

Though all the page urls are different from my previous site, I transferred the domain, REMOVED to point to the Google Sites.  This domain has a Google PageRank of 3.  Since creating this Google Site, I noticed that visits to my site drastically decreased.   According to Google Webmaster Tools, the current traffic is direct or referred but not organic.  It doesn't appear that anyone is reaching my site via keywords.   I thought that since I transferred the domain, the number of organic visits to my site would not change.

I cross referenced each site page with Also removed with minimal to no errors reported.

Google and the other search engines apparently continue to index my previous site pages even though Go Daddy deleted the site.  After phoning Go Daddy, they told me that they cannot control whether previous site pages continue to be indexed by search engines.  When clicking on a page from my previous site, viewers are taken to my Google Site with text 'Page not found' on it.  As a result, Google and Bing Webmaster Tools are reporting  a significant number of crawling errors.

I previously posted threads to the Google Sites forum concerning these issues but to date, no one has responded.

Do search crawling errors negatively affect my site?  Is this a situation where search engines recognize my site as new and I simply have to wait over time for my keyword ranking to improve?  Is there anything else I can do to improve SEO and ultimately improve keyword ranking and visits?  Thanks.

Edited by chrishirst, 27 May 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,771 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Do search crawling errors negatively affect my site?

Only insofar as if the URLs can't be found, they can't be shown to Google's users.

The problems is simple. All your URLs changed, Without a permanent redirect in place it WILL take time.

#3 MarkStrobel3367

MarkStrobel3367

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks, Chris.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

The real question is, when you moved the site did you create a redirect map in your .htaccess file on the new hosting with 301 redirects pointing the old/original URLs to the new pages?  This is more important than coding errors or where you're hosted.  Even if they only changed name from .html to .php.

I have no idea how long search engines keep SEO juice and history on broken/disrupted pages.  I assume they give you a couple days to figure it out before abandoning you, so if I were you I would attempt to set up the redirects immediately if not last week.

Set up old page --> new page as a 301 redirect in .htaccess of the new hosting - forget about godaddy

#5 MarkStrobel3367

MarkStrobel3367

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi, Bob.  Thank you for your reply.  I don't have access to the FTP folder of either the old or the new site.  I have no idea how to access htaccess of my new Google Sites website to redirect the pages to 301.  Do you have any suggestions?

#6 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

You said that you are using this service because as it gives you the ability to manage your own site.  You must have access then to a control panel where you edit pages, perhaps CSS stylesheets, other stuff. Look around, read the FAQ if necessary to find out how to access the .htaccess file. Maybe its' a simple web interface. Some control panels give you a mechanism to access files through a folder tree. You just have to find the method for yours.

#7 MarkStrobel3367

MarkStrobel3367

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hi Bob.  After you mentioned the  htaccess in your initial response, I researched the Internet as it pertains to Google Sites and the only thing that I was able to find is that Google Sites doesn't allow for redirects.  

The closest thing I found to an FTP folder in Google Sites is their attachment upload under their Manage Site tab.  I can universally upload files, images, etc... much like an FTP folder.  I even was able to get my site verified by Bing Webmaster Tools after uploading their code file.  

Google Sites has many nice features that I wasn't able to figure out how to add to my previous site.  However, it appears that Google Sites has some limitations, perhaps this being one of them.  Creating a site with Google Sites is very easy as it doesn't require any knowledge of html coding.  But, again, there are some limitations that I hope Google will consider changing in the near future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!