• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

H Tag Order

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 newheights

newheights

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

I have been having a debate with a another empolyee and wondered if you guys could perhaps help us to answer a question.

Does the order of the H tags matter in SEO.

Now we are aware that h tags are a bit of an on the fence idea in teams of how important they are. I always tend to use them on the more important pages and so forth but looking around I can't see anything that suggests its the frist of the tags that you should be in the code. 

I seen that in a couple of CMS systems that use H tags to make up the menus and forth

However a new starter at the firm has instited it poor practice not to have the h1 tag first infact he gone as far to say it black hat not to have it first.

But I can't find aything that would suggest it should be first at all but I ask the crowds what they think.

Thank you in advance.

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

You'll commonly see <h3> tags used as box headers in several CMS systems and some have even have had a historically bad habit of employing an <h1> tag within the header containing the logo. So if you want to use the H1 logically you're jacked unless you hack the code. Go figure.

Good semantic markup is certainly good writing practice but does it impact SEO, probably very little if any at all. Search engines have enough to deal with in their algorithms without sorting out if the copywriter has chosen the right profession. Go ahead Jill, contradict me.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Does the order of the H tags matter in SEO.

Nope because heading elemnts are not particularly a concern for SEO.

Well that is unless, you want to stamp your pages with a watermark of "This has been 'optimised' by an "expert""

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Heading tags are good for laying out the structure of a page's content: heading, subheading, content, etc. That's particularly useful for accessibility purposes, so it makes sense to use them properly. The h1 doesn't need to be the first tag on the page, but it ought to be used for the snippet of text that serves as a heading for the whole page.

And if you're interested in structuring the page properly, the h1 is the heading for the page, h2s serve as subheadings, h3s are subheadings for h2s, etc. And apparently, HTML5 pages can have a heading structure based on specific sections of the page, but that's another story.

Search engines appear to recognize that text that stands out -- large, bold, maybe a different color -- may be more important than other text on the page. Does that mean that such a difference needs to be accomplished through the use of heading tags? I don't think so, but I think it just makes sense to do it anyway.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Good semantic markup is certainly good writing practice but does it impact SEO, probably very little if any at all. Search engines have enough to deal with in their algorithms without sorting out if the copywriter has chosen the right profession. Go ahead Jill, contradict me.

I won't contradict you at all. I totally agree.

#6 ElvisH

ElvisH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

I think that h1 within the header's logo/title is more suitable when trying to put the weight on 1-2 keywords, and all the content in site is directly related to it (its more common in blogs or satellites).

The order does matter but its not rare to have h3 before h2 (or 4 before 3) when sub subject paragraph appears before the next subject ex.:

(h1) mortgage guide

(h2) mortgage types

(h3) type 1

(h3) type 2

(h2) how to choose

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

The order does matter but its not rare to have h3 before h2

Then the order doesn't matter.

#8 newheights

newheights

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hi guys thank you for the feedback I have also found a video from google that clears the matter up for me

http://www.youtube.c...v=iR5itZlq8sk#!

I will make work interesing when I go back in on Tuesday

#9 KarenC

KarenC

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

It's a good practice to have them in order for accessibiity purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!