• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Penguin 2.0

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

I see the wittering masses are all agog about this rollout

Matt Cutts on "Penguin 2.0"

Which leads me to wonder. ....

Was the inhouse code name The Emperor Strikes Back  or Happy Feet --- The Sequel

• Jill and Shawon02 like this

#2 ElvisH

ElvisH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

does it matter? the essence is important not the name/definition

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Urrrmmm???? Okay then.

It's called a JOKE, A play on words,

"The Emperor strikes back" <<<<>>>>> "The Empire strikes back" == Star Wars movie sequel and an Emperor is a particular family of Penguins.

"Happy Feet" was a movie about "dancing penguins" and "Happy Feet II" was it's sequel.

• vipinsham likes this

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well, I thought it was funny... but maybe that's just because I'm not particularly worried about being "caught" by the update, so I've got the time and inclination to appreciate jokes about it. :)

--Torka :propeller:

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

I do find myself wondering if Google engineers take some pseudo-sadistic amusement in announcing these changes.

You know, a bit like throwing a fox in with the chickens just to watch them scatter.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Which judging by this video confession, may not be as farfetched as it sounds. :)

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

I don't doubt for a moment they do like to "stir the pot" from time to time. :pokey: I imagine they glean all sorts of useful information from the ensuing pandemonium. :whistle:

--Torka :propeller:

#8 thx1138

thx1138

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

I've certainly seen a few spam reliant sites drop out of the SERPS for our industry.  However in many cases they've been replaced by businesses who are wholly unsuited to offer the services they'll now be receiving increased traffic for.

Interesting to see many sites with little original content and very few backlinks (in some cases less than 20) now in the top 20 for some pretty competitive keyword searches.

Understandable of course if they were quality backlinks but one seems to consist entirely of links from SEO grading sites, weird.

One thing I've noticed, which may or may not be relevant is that backlinks that simply use the actual website address as the anchor text seems very common on those sites that have climbed up the SERPS.
  • shellydesuza likes this

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

However in many cases they've been replaced by businesses who are wholly unsuited to offer the services they'll now be receiving increased traffic for.

Only in your opinion and only in your version of the results, which will be skewed by you being a "rank checker"

One thing I've noticed, which may or may not be relevant is that backlinks that simply use the actual website address as the anchor text seems very common on those sites that have climbed up the SERPS.

That all depends on what your historical search pattern is and what the phrase used was.

#10 thx1138

thx1138

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

I really look forward to your posts Chris, they always raise a chuckle, I think it's your warm, caring bedside manner that does it.

Am I a rank checker, well only in your opinion (based incidentally on ill-informed presumption) and I'm well aware of how to achieve non personalised results.

Thanks again for your insight.

• Jill likes this

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'm well aware of how to achieve non personalised results.

Though not totally,  your IP still skews what you get shown.

And if you notice when results are changing for your name, you ARE checking rankings.

#12 thx1138

thx1138

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Indeed, but as I only decided to check ranks about 3 times after recently becoming interested in how Penguin may have changed the type of results served, and each time on different IP addresses I'm not sure it qualifies me as a bona fida 'rank checker' which in my mind is someone who does it on a daily or weekly basis.

Our organic traffic is all over the place and from that I assume we're bouncing around all over the SERPS.

Actually it's just occurred to me that I do regularly look at our average position in Analytics for keyword searches so I guess I am a rank checker after all.

Edited by thx1138, 31 May 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#13 shellydesuza

shellydesuza

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:46 AM

my website was ranking 1st before penguin release, now it rankes 17, any tips to get back the ranking??

#14 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Why are you focused on rankings? If you read the previous posts on this thread and elsewhere on the forum, you'd see we're not big on rankings checks.

Besides, you have to be talking about just one page, and for just one key phrase. What about all the other phrases? What about all the other pages? An apparent drop for one phrase for one page is meaningless, really.

Now, if you said your Google organic traffic had dropped by a significant margin and you're looking for a way to get that back up, that's a different matter. Even better if you were to say that your conversion rate is down and you're trying to improve it.

Focus on stuff that matters, stuff you can control. Until creditors start to accept ranking reports in lieu of cash, rankings aren't worth obsessing over... and until you own a majority share of Google, there's not much you can do to control them.

So, what to do to help your website? First, create awesome content. Something that isn't just a rehash (or worse yet, an exact duplicate) of everything else that's out there. Yes, this will take considerable time and effort. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Second, make sure your site is user-friendly, accessible, well-laid-out and easy to navigate. It would help if it doesn't make your visitors' eyeballs bleed to look at it, too.

Third, market the heck out of that sucker. Run a PPC campaign, send out direct mail, write a newsletter or offer free downloads/product trials/whatever to build your "house" email list. Rent billboards. Take out ads in magazines, newspapers, radio and TV. Tell all your friends. Start a blog. Update your business Facebook page regularly. Attend every business networking event you can. Always carry a stack of business cards with you where ever you go. Stick flyers under the windshield wipers of cars in local parking lots. Participate in professional groups on LinkedIn. Sponsor a contest. Walk up and down Main Street wearing a sandwichboard. Work out co-op deals with related non-competing businesses.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 31 October 2013 - 09:21 AM.

• Jill and shellydesuza like this

#15 shellydesuza

shellydesuza

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

Thanks Torka, for the information. I have been reading the other threads also,  as my main job is to improve ranking, I am much focused on analyzing the website and making necessary amendments, hoping which in turn improves traffic and conversion rate.  Thank you for all the ideas..

• Shawon02 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.