• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Understanding Similiar Results Not Displayed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

When entering site:mysite.com into google three pages of results are displayed with the bottom of the third page displaying

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 29 already displayed.
If you like, [link text]you can
repeat the search with omitted results included.[/link text]

My question is does that mean the 97 total pages - the 29 displayed before clicking on the above be to similiar (duplicate) and could be causing an issue?  If so would just disallowing these pages in robots.txt fix the issue? 

Sorry for all the questions, my huge drop in traffic is driving me nuts...  Thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

They're not necessarily duplicate pages, but some of them may be. They're pages that Google is aware of, but doesn't consider to be valuable enough to return under normal circumstances. They used to refer to such pages as the "supplemental index."

In some cases, they might be pages that could be considered valuable, but you're not putting out the signal that they're valuable. Maybe they share a title tag with numerous other pages, or there's only one internal link pointing to them. In cases like that, it may be that changes you make could bring them out of supplemental and out into the light.

In any case, I don't think there's any reason to think that you're being penalized in any way for having these pages. Getting rid of them isn't likely to make things better for you. I suppose it could free up crawling resources, so Google would catch updates to your more valuable pages more quickly, but because these pages have been determined by Google to be of relatively low value, I doubt they're being crawled very often anyway, so they're not really pulling resources away from the rest of the site.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

If this happened yesterday, a bug was reported when using the site: command causing it to only display 30 results. It was confirmed by Matt Cutts. Not sure if its fixed yet. 

#4 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up Jill. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,