• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Unwanted Cache - Duplicate Content?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

When using site:mysite.com in google I stumbled upon a return that may be a duplicate content issue.  Below is the return from google.

Index of / foldername

www.mysite.com/foldername/  - cached

Index of /foldername. Parent Directory - files of folder listed here

In the root of my site is a page that lists and points to the different articles (file.php) in this folder so it seems to me that this could cause duplicate content.

But I am not sure what entry to make in my robots.txt file to get rid of this non-existent file.

Would I use Disallow: /foldername/index.html 

or /foldername/index.php

or /foldername/index.htm

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

It's not a duplicate content issue, but I can understand why you wouldn't want a list of files in a directory to display. But if you don't create a default page (which usually has a file name like index.html or default.asp) to display when a user requests the directory, the default response on most servers is to show something like this.

Personally, I prefer to actually have a page there, but that's partly because I'm one of those odd people who navigates a site by moving up and down the directory structure. I've got a Firefox extension that I use for that very purpose.

If you don't want to put a page there, and you don't want the file list to display, there's a line you can add to your .htaccess file (assuming you're on an Apache server) that will take care of it. Instructions are here, but the line is simply

Options -Indexes

#3 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the help. I was hoping this was a duplicate content issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.