• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Subdomain Versus New Domain: Seo Pros And Cons?

Best Answer Jill , 22 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

It doesn't make any difference.  

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 FlossieT

FlossieT

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

New to this forum but a longtime subscriber to the newsletter! Hoping someone can advise here - my research so far has been inconclusive.

I work for a company that has two main businesses - a magazine and a bookshop. We are just kicking off build of a new website for the bookshop (to replace the existing one). The two are run completely separately online, and have very different sites.

As part of the new build, the decision has been taken to move the bookshop site to a new domain: its existing domain is not meaningful, and if we're going to take an SEO hit, we figure it's best to do it at relaunch, when we'll be busy with the 301s already. There is significant interest in moving the site to a subdomain of the magazine, instead of a completely new domain, mainly in order to be able to monitor customer journeys between the two sites more easily via GA. 

My main question: How might this affect traffic between the two sites, in terms of how it's viewed by Google? At the moment, the magazine is a significant referrer to the bookshop. If we moved the bookshop to a subdomain, would all those links then be counted as internal, and the authority transfer adversely affected? Or does it not make any difference? Are there any other SEO-related factors we ought to consider?

Many thanks,

Rachael

• Genette likes this

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:54 AM   Best Answer

It doesn't make any difference.  

• Genette likes this

#3 Genette

Genette

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

I'm new to the forum too :-) But have been trying to learn as much as possible from Jill's newsletters etc.

I'm confused over how best to use two domains or do I use sub domains/directories for 'one business' - one website is a corporate site with the second an offshoot to the main Group - if we have two domains will we get penalised for having duplicate content - when I say duplicate, content won't be exact copy but Google will see there are two websites for one business right ? I'm not sure what is best practice in this situation and any advice would be appreciated. 

Many Thanks Jeanette

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Either way is fine. 

• Genette likes this

#5 Genette

Genette

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

Thank you Jill - musch appreciated.

#6 FlossieT

FlossieT

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

So links between a main www domain and a subdomain will still 'count' as external links? We will still benefit, in SEO terms, from referrals from those links?

Thanks,

Rachael

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

You don't need them to count as external links. 

All links from all pages pass PageRank to the pages they're linking to, whether they are on the same domain or another.

#8 FlossieT

FlossieT

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thanks, that's great. Is there anything else we should be thinking about in making the decision? Sorry if that sounds like I'm asking the same question twice, but it's quite a big step for us - we want to get it right!

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Just do whatever makes the most sense for your business and the people who will be coming to your site. Typically that will also be the best thing for SEO. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!