• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Search Traffic Down 30%

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sophronisba

Sophronisba

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

Two weeks ago we uploaded a new set of pages to our site. At the time the site was high-ranking (top 4 or 5 results) for many relevant keywords and doing very well with Google search traffic.

A week and a half ago, our traffic suddenly took a nosedive. I haven't been able to figure out why. I made some tweaks to the new pages, but they aren't duplicating existing content and there don't seem to be any problems (such as broken links) with them, so I can't imagine why adding them would kill our traffic. I redid our sitemap, since it was somewhat out of date, and I deindexed some low-content pages, but nothing seems to have budged the traffic. How can I figure out what happened and fix it? I know that traffic fluctuates normally, but losing 30% in one day seems pretty drastic.

• youngsunson likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,443 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

You need to figure out what changed for the URLs that lost traffic.

At the time the site was high-ranking (top 4 or 5 results)

"Sites" do not get 'ranking' URLs do.

#3 Sophronisba

Sophronisba

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

You need to figure out what changed for the URLs that lost traffic.

The problem that I have is that pretty much all the URLs dropped, and as far as I can tell nothing changed. That is what has me baffled. And I do not believe it was a sitewide penalty, because I don't have any messages in Google Webmaster (and I'm not doing anything that would cause a sitewide penalty anyway).

"Sites" do not get 'ranking' URLs do.

I meant URLs. I hadn't had my coffee yet.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Two weeks ago we uploaded a new set of pages to our site

Were those in addition to what you already had or were they replacing the previous information?

#5 Sophronisba

Sophronisba

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Were those in addition to what you already had or were they replacing the previous information?

They were in addition to what we already had.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Sounds like you need someone to review your entire configuration. One thing to check is to be sure you haven't blocked the spiders inadvertently. 

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,443 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

Check 1: do a "site:domain.tld" to see if the "problem" URIs are still indexed.

Check2: If the new documents all link to the problem URIs and Google has crawled and indexed the content, you have created a condition where the existing URIs may need re-evaluating with the new "link graph".

#8 Sophronisba

Sophronisba

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

We haven't blocked the spiders and I've ruled out server configuration issues.

All the URLs still indexed; the rankings have just fallen. The new documents do all link to the URLs whose rankings have dropped.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Possibly a coincidence then (being near when the new content was uploaded). But impossible to say without a thorough review. If you don't have the skills and knowledge to check everything, I'd highly suggest hiring a consultant. 

You might also want to review my article about 18 SEO Killers as well as the ones linked to from it to get some additional clues.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

As an addendum to anyone reading this thread, I had a quick phone call with Sophronisba and took a brief look at the site. One possibility for the loss in traffic may have been due to another site using their content. A search for exact content from her site brings up another site higher in Google. 

Can't say for sure if this is the issue, but at least she has something to pursue for now. 

This is one reason why it's critical to have a name associated with all of your content as well as to use rel=author on all of it as well. (It was only recently implemented on this site.) 

#11 lisaben

lisaben

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

Check 1: do a "site:domain.tld" to see if the "problem" URIs are still indexed.

Check2: If the new documents all link to the problem URIs and Google has crawled and indexed the content, you have created a condition where the existing URIs may need re-evaluating with the new "link graph".

I am not getting your first point. How to check URLs are sytill indexed or not. What is this: site:domain.tld

Please clear

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Just go to google and type in site:yoursite.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,