• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirect For Seo Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shawon2170

shawon2170

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

I have a sports site (site A) and I was thinking of acquiring/buying another sports type website (site cool.png.

My website revolves around all sports (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, ext) the site I am thinking of buying is about only NBA for example.

My questions are

1) If I redirect (site cool.png to (site A - my current site) should I redirect to the main domain or redirect to the category for best results? Meaning redirect to mysite.com or mysite.com/NBA

2) Is it possible to redirect individual pages from (Site cool.png to (site A) - and is this recommended?

3) Is this against Google SEO policies - I know buying links is - what about buying sites to pass on link juice. Also I know it used to be around 80-90% juice passed on, is that still true?

4) What is the best way to move content from (site cool.png to (site A) without getting penalized by Google

Thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

1. The purpose behind a 301 (aside from the question of transferring link juice) is to indicate that the specific content on the old page has been permanently relocated to the new page, so you should be redirecting to the page that's closest to the old one. That means not just redirecting to the NBA section of the site, but to a particular page in that section if possible.

2. Absolutely. See above.

3. You're ostensibly not doing this just to pass link juice. It's like when one company buys another -- the purchased company may change, its products may be renamed to fit in with its new parent company's branding, and its web site may be shut down and redirected to the site of the new parent company.

Regarding how much link juice is lost, Matt Cutts recently clarified things to say that he was misinterpreted, and never meant to say that a 301 loses some amount of PR, making it a little bit weaker than a link would be. He meant that there's some tiny amount of PR dissipation through a link, and that that dissipation is the same for a 301.

See for yourself:

4. You won't get penalized (I assume you mean for duplicate content), because there won't be duplicate content. The original page will be gone. The question is whether you have the right to publish that content yourself. Are you buying the old site, or just the domain name? If it's the latter, you probably won't own the copyright to the content that had been published on the old domain, and the person who's selling it to you will have the right to move their content wherever they want.

Edited by qwerty, 15 May 2013 - 05:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!