• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Potential Duplicate (Or Very Similar) Content Issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jimxms

jimxms

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my head around a potential duplicate content issue, but I have to admit that I know very little about what search engines consider 'content'. For example, would this be considered to be duplicate content:

foo.com/browse/page1

and

foo.com/browse

....if both pages were simply results pages listing the same 'page 1' results?

My issue is a little more complex, but in essence very similar. On my website users can display results based on their location. The location they select becomes part of the URL and there are a total of 42,000 UK locations that they could possibly select. However, it is entirely possible that one location may have the same or very similar results as another. For example...

foo.com/browse/stuff/in/placeA

might be just down the road from...

foo.com/browse/stuff/in/placeB

and as my results are looked up using lat/lon coordinates with a distance radius, its entirely possible that the two locations may have extremely similar results.

Is this going to cause a duplicate content issue?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Yes. If basically the same information is the main content on more than one page, it is duplicate content and it could cause problems with Google.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

It's very common with paginated content. The default page (call it page.htm for example) links to a second page, page2.htm or maybe page.htm?page=2. The problem is that the second page links back to the first page as page1.htm or page.htm?page=1 instead of just page.htm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!