• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Preferred Domain (Www Or Non-Www)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

Whenever I spider my site using Screaming Frog (thanks Jill!) I see two versions of EVERY page in the results – the www. version and the non-www version. I would like to remedy this problem but not sure how to go about it. Google support recommends I specify  a preferred domain in my Google account. http://support.googl...en&answer=44231

I assume this is the right thing to do to solve my problem? Is www better than non-www?

Then they state the following:

"Once you've set your preferred domain, you may want to use a 301 redirect to redirect traffic from your non-preferred domain, so that other search engines and visitors know which version you prefer." 

Do I need to do this? I know how to redirect a page, but a whole domain? and where do they want me to do this? 

Is it as simple as this documentation below? (I got it off the web)

Example of a 301 Permanent Redirect of Non-WWW to WWW

This is the code to use in your htaccess file for redirecting content to the www version of your website.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond % ^awebguy.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.awebguy.com/$1 [L,R=301]

Edited by rayjoy, 14 May 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

We have a pinned thread about setting up 301 redirects.

Which version should you choose? It's completely up to you. The only advantage non-www URLs have is that they're a little shorter.

#3 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Qwerty. I had a quick look and will study it out further.

It doesn't address this question however.. should I specify a preferred domain in my Google account? 

Is this what every webmaster should do just as a matter of course? Have you?

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

I have on some sites, but that was mostly back when you didn't have to go through the verification process after you specified your preference. If you have complete control over the code on the site, that's not a big deal. If you have to wait months for the developers to update the code, it's not worth it, especially since having the redirect in place will do the job.

In some cases, none of this is necessary. Do a site search on Google (site:domain.com with no space after the colon). If Google returns only one version -- that is, you don't see a mix of www and non-www URLs -- then this is probably not an issue for your site, no matter what Screaming Frog reports. I still prefer to have the redirect in place, but it's probably not necessary under those circumstances.

#5 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

With only one or two exceptions (which are all 404) all pages show the www version in search results. 

Does this mean my PR is not split between two sites then?

Would a redirect fix the Screaming Frog issue?

Is this the redirect I should use  ...

Example of a 301 Permanent Redirect of Non-WWW to WWW

This is the code to use in your htaccess file for redirecting content to the www version of your website.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond % ^example.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301]

My family does my code, (basic web developers. ) I think I would like to specify the domain preference with Google. Is verification easy enough to do?

Edited by Jill, 14 May 2013 - 01:37 PM.
Added code tag and removed site name

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Would a redirect fix the Screaming Frog issue?

It's not an issue. Just don't put the non www version into SF in the first place.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

If you can control the code of your site, Google verification is as easy as either adding a single line of code to your page header or uploading a small text file to the root of your domain. As Qwerty says, it can be a pain if you have to wait for corporate developers to update stuff, but if you've got access/control to make the updates yourself, it's easy-peasy.

--Torka :propeller:

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

It's not an issue. Just don't put the non www version into SF in the first place.

If you've got internal links on the site using absolute URLs, some of which include the www and some of which don't, then Screaming Frog is going to request and find the different versions of those pages. And that's kind of sloppy coding that you might want to fix when you've got lots of free time on your hands.

But if Google has already determined that the www version of all of your pages are the canonical ones, it's really a non-issue. It certainly won't do you any harm to set up the redirect, but you don't need it (unless Bing has failed to reach the same conclusion Google has).

#9 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Jill, when I search for "www.domain" in Screaming Frog I get results for http://www.domain AND http://domain. (for every single page - everything is doubled up, even though the non-www version is not used on my site anywhere except for a few 404s and guestbooks - which I am looking into) 

So what do YOU do to exclude the non-www results in SF?

Edited by rayjoy, 14 May 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Are you putting the www version into screaming frog to start with? If so, then somewhere within your site you're linking to the non-www version. That's what you've got to look for so you can change those links. 

But if you're starting SF with the non-www version, then it may not be a problem.

#11 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Are you putting the www version into screaming frog to start with? If so, then somewhere within your site you're linking to the non-www version. That's what you've got to look for so you can change those links. 

Jill, I’m starting SF with the www version, but it is giving me results for EVERY page in the site as BOTH www version AND non-www version. EVery page has both version in the results. The only non-www version pages I have on my site are two 404 pages and my guestbooks.  NOW GET THIS ….. IF I request SF to ignore the guestbooks, I don’t get ANY non-www results in the search results. This must mean if you have just ONE non-www page link  in your site, that from there SF spiders your entire site AS A NON_WWW version? Interesting.

#12 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

What's probably happening is that it's finding links on those guestbook pages to non-www URLs. It follows those and it sees relative links to your other pages. Because it's already on a non-www URL, the relative links resolve to absolute URLs without www.

In other words, a page like www.site.com/page.htm links to other pages in the site like /another-page.htm. If you go from www.site.com/page.htm to /another-page.htm, you end up on www.site.com/another-page.htm. But the guestbook pages, whether you request them with or without www in their URLs, are linking not to /another-page.htm, but site.com/another-page.htm, which sends the spider to site.com/another-page.htm, without www.

#13 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Trying set up a 301 in my .htaccess file. If someone technical could please let me know if I'm doing the right thing, I'd really appreciate it. See attached .htaccess file.

I was told by my web host that "if there are no redirect/rewrites already in place, that should work fine, however, if you already have redirects/rewrites there, then it will most likely not work and need some specific customization to make work properly. " 

I cannot see any other redirects or rewrites, so I'm hoping this will work?

Attached Files

Edited by rayjoy, 14 May 2013 - 09:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!