• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Google News-Nuances On What Constitutes "promotional' Content

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi Gang,

Its been awhile.  I am looking for individuals who have submitted their sites to Google News to discuss the nuances of their suggestion to "separate out promotional content" by folder or sub-directory http://support.googl...&answer=1734897

Background, I am in-house SEO/SEM at a publishing company.  Recently, we just got one of our vertical online publications [magazines] accepted in Google News [did the special site map, etc].  This online pub has a continuous publishing model like all things digital or mashable. Due to the success they have had with it [they were slash dotted and had some pieces go viral] another other business unit is thinking about doing it with their vertical online publications. 

The online publication that wants to get in Google News is not a continuous publishing model but a quarterly model, where they produce new articles every quarter.  They are doing some content in-between issue dates but not like a continuous publishing model.   Both groups do sell and create promoted content along with their normal news content. This unit is concerned that they may not get into google news because of this.  My suggestion is to just try to get their pub in first and if they are NOT approved, then we can discussed whether its worth re-engineering the site to get it approved by Google News.

If we were to throw it on its own folder or a sub-directory, the way I read the directions it says to dissallow the google news bot from crawling the 'promotional' content folder/sub directory.  So what would that look like in the robots.txt when you are specifying for a specific crawler [Google News bot] telling them to not crawl a specific folder or sub directory?

Next, and more to the point,  how 'promotional' does it need to be so one would not make it into Google News?  The reason I ask is the pub we have in now does do promotional content and its a essentially an article or case-study interspersed with the other content.  The only way it was marked on the first site was a graphical treatment that said it was 'promotional' content.  It does not have its own sub-directory or folder structure and its was approved no problem.

So, any thoughts or experience out there on this?  Any input greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  DJKay

• hanhht20787 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!