• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

- - - - -

Publicity Via Social Media

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

One of the things I have run into is a service where people offer a service for a small fixed fee.  I refrain from mentioning the name of the service in order to stay in line with the terms of this forum but let us say that if I were to use it I would be less than $10.  That service has many offers from people offering to bump up a site by retweeting it to their followers and the like.  

There may well be an ethical issue here but that apart is there any merit in doing this from the point of view of attracting more visitors and b. (not an SEO question perhaps) how does one establish thaty they have done what they claim to have done?  A fool and his money are soon parted they say.  I'd like to think that I am not a fool but I am a novice to the SEO game so forgive me if this question sounds naive.  I can either learn by parting with my money or by asking those wiser than I - I chose the latter.

Edited by jrdam, 13 May 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#2 chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,659 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Would you do something that may prove difficult for five dollars??

#3 torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,805 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

I suppose you could ask them for the handle of the Twitter account they're going to use. You could then check the stream for that account to see whether they tweeted what they said they would, and what the count of followers it has.

That said, I don't think even for $5 this is going to do all that much good for you. I suspect you really don't just want "traffic" -- I bet what you really want is "traffic that converts." It's the difference between having 1,000 people troop through your brick-and-mortar store and leave without buying anything... and having 10 people come in and buy something. I know which one I would pick...

Unless this person can guarantee their followers are interested in what you have to offer, that they'll visit your site and significant numbers of them will be ready, willing and able to purchase something -- something I doubt they'll be able to do -- you'll probably get just as good a result if you took your $5 and set it on fire.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#4 bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

Whether it's $5 or $9.99 think about how much effort has to go into doing Twitter or similar. Setting up the account, customizing the profile, monitoring, responding, yadda.  Add some "thinking" into the mix and understanding the business and culture. I regularly see overseas offers to outsource your web development for $10/hr, less. I can see it now, a roomful of 125 social media engineers getting paid handsomely at $2/hr so that the service can get $9.99/mo. Simmer down...me.

#5 jobtardis1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:45 AM

Of course, It is called social media marketing and one part of internet marketing ,We are getting traffic from social media sites..

#6 torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,805 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Many people are getting traffic from social media sites. Some of them are even making sales from social media.

No one disputes this.

The question was not, "Can one get traffic from social media?" The question was, "Can one get traffic by paying some random dude a few dollars to tweet about one's business to his alleged 'followers'?"

And given that Random Dude's so-called "followers" are almost certainly mostly robots, fake accounts and sock-monkeys, the answer is a resounding "NO!" Even in the unlikely event there are a few real people lurking on his follower list, the chances that they would be interested in hearing about this business is slim. In fact, if Random Dude has been regularly whoring out his Twitter stream to hawk any company that waves $5 under his nose, it's likely his "followers" have long since stopped paying attention to anything he posts.

So I stand by my original assessment. In terms of a business benefit, you'd get exactly the same results if you took that $5 and set it on fire. In fact, you'd do a little better with the fire, because at least then you'd be able to enjoy a little bit of heat.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Most if not all of the major social media platforms forbid the buying of shares and other "fakery". I would not risk a business brand account on cheap smarmy tactics like the hiring of quick promotional services for under $5. And you don't even know if their followers are real. There is software that generates interaction between dozens of accounts on Twitter, for example (I have watched it unfold).

Besides -- you can now buy advertising directly on Twitter and Facebook and I am sure other social media platforms are looking into adding similar services (if they have not already). The advertising services should provide you with far better feedback and tracking on your promotional campaigns than paying some random spammer a fistful of dollars.
  • torka likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!