• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Noindex Nofollow To Avoid Low Content Penalty

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

We have been advised to add <meta name = "robots" content = "NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> in the header of pages that have poor or duplicate content. (until we have time to decide what to do with them.) Why do you need both noindex and nofollow? I would have thought that noindex would have taken care of it. What is the effect of having "no follow" in the header as well? If you suspect a penalty as a result of anchor text spam on that page, would the NOFOLLOW (in the header) protect you from that penalty also? 

Edited by rayjoy, 12 May 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

You use "NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW" when you want to say to robots "Ignore this page, I wish you hadn't even fetched it, I'd prefer you to be fetching other content on my site, thanks".

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

The robots meta tag doesn't stop the spider from crawling the page. Noindex tells it not to add the content it finds on the page to the index, and nofollow tells it not to add any links it finds to the crawling queue.

If you don't want the spider to so much as request the page, disallow the URL via the robots.txt file.

• rayjoy likes this

#4 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

thanks qwerty, saved me hours!

#5 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Querty, if the spider still crawls the page, even though it is marked NOINDEX, does this mean if the page is low content (which is why we marked it NOINDEX until we have time to fix it) will my website still incur a Panda penalty - ie Google still reads the page and credits it as being a low-content page on my site.

I thought NOINDEX was a way of preventing this?

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Google will access the page and see that you don't want it indexed, nor do you want links found on the page followed. So it doesn't matter if the page is completely blank, contains the entire text of Finnegan's Wake, or is a nasty series of insults to Googlebot. You're telling Google to leave it alone, so Google's not going to conclude that you're trying to deceive it into sending users to some crappy, deceptive page. Google's not going to send anyone there.

Nothing to worry about, but you're welcome to just disallow the page via robots.txt. The two methods are just the difference between "ignore this" and "you're not permitted to look at this."

#7 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

QWERTY ... I so appreciate the help I receive from this forum, you guys are amazing. 

And your sense of humour absolutely made my day!

cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!