• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Old Site Dup Content

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

I moved my site out of Homestead years ago, and rebuilt it from the ground up. The old Homestead site is still up, I just didn't get around to deleting it. There is alot of new content now but obviously the old content is duplicate and still shows up in the search results. I need to get rid of it obviously as it is no longer needed. There are a few external links to pages of the old Homestead site. If I delete the site entirely, I lose those links. Is there a way to set up domain referrals so all old links go the new site (even if they all just went to the home page) without having to 301 redirect every page?

Also, if I just deleted the site would it eventually just drop out of the Google index, or do you need to do something to tell Google?
In general if you delete a single page, does it just drop out of the index eventually?

Thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

You can set up redirects from any URL on the old site to the home page of the new one if you want, but that will mean keeping the hosting in place on the old site. If you shut down the old site completely, it will drop out of the index, but you won't be able to redirect. Your choice.

Edited by qwerty, 13 May 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Do you know where those links are coming from? Can you contact the webmasters at the linking pages and let them know you've got a newer (more complete, better quality resource) site available now, and ask them to change the target of their links?

It might not work, but it seldom hurts to ask.

--Torka :propeller:

#4 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

OK, I'm back after a break ... Google definitely does not like me any more.. I've lost 90% of my Google traffic. (No exaggeration) 

1.    The old Homestead site has to go for starters ... I don't think I'll 301 the old site to the new because most of the domains linking to the Homestead site are like this ..

(Not sure if it is protocol to mention other sites like this, I'm sure Jill will correct me if it is (sorry) but I needed some feedback on whether links from sites like this will end up hurting me even more.)

Would you try and keep links from "directories" like this one? There are about 60 domains similar to this site linking to my old Homestead one that I think I could do without, and am reluctant to point them to my new site for obvious reasons. 

2.  If I just delete the old Homestead site completely, how long will it take for it to drop out of the index? and can we be sure that Google will pick up that it no longer exists? Is there another way to tell Google that it has gone? I guess I was thinking of doing a 301 of every page because that would tell Google that the new site is mine and is replacing the old one, and if that is the cause of the penalty it would be removed. But would just deleting the old site have the same effect? It would be a lot easier.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by qwerty, 16 July 2013 - 06:26 AM.
live link removed

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Can you even do a 301 redirect from Homestead? I seem to recall working with a client who had a Homestead site back in the Dark Ages, and (at least at that time) they didn't seem to offer that capability. Things may have changed, of course...

If the links that are pointing to the old site are mostly "free directory listings" or other similar low-value links, you're not going to gain much (and most likely nothing at all) by redirecting them to the new site. I don't think they would hurt (unless they're seriously spammy sites and you don't have any other links) but the fact that your old site was still showing up in search results at all leads me to believe those links aren't detrimental, just maybe not all that helpful.

Which is a long way of saying I don't think you need to jump through hoops to try to preserve those old links. If there are any that seem particularly valuable in terms of potentially sending traffic, or being located on pages that seem to offer above-average value to their visitors, contact the webmaster and see if you can get the target of the link changed to your new site. Otherwise, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over them.

If you decide to simply delete the old site, Google will eventually pick up on the fact that it's gone. Nobody can tell you how long that will take, though... depends on how often the spiders visit the old site (probably not that often since the content over there doesn't often change) and how many times they have to encounter a "404 not found" error before they decide it isn't coming back. I know they'll allow some leeway on the chance the site is simply temporarily down.

In any case, one way or another I think it would be good to get that old site out of there. The duplicate content between that and the new site is certainly doing you no favors. Beyond that, you should probably take a good look at the new site and make sure everything's as on the up-and-up as possible, that your links there are stronger than those to the old site (NOT simply of the "directory listing" or other cheap-and-easy link variety).

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#6 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Thank you so much!

#7 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hello torka! I just deleted the old site. Now I read somewhere I am supposed to leave behind a 404 page and a robots.txt file? Do you think this is necessary, or is just deleting the site entirely (as I have done) enough to get Google to drop the site from the index? I've heard this can take a while, and If speeding up the process requires a 404 and robots.txt file I would need to create the site again just for those two files. Thoughts?

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

What to you get when you try to access the site now? And I'm asking not just what you see, but what response header the server sends back.

#9 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for your help qwerty ... when I type "[subdomain].homestead.com" in my browser the URL resolves to homestead.com.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, I'm not sure what you mean by "response header" sorry. The site has been deleted totally at Homestead, which is a type of wysiwyg templated web hosting service. You don't have access to your own backend server login stuff, you just either have a website or you don't. I can create the site again but without any pages and add a 404 page and robot.txt file I suppose? What do you advise? I want the old site dropped from the index as soon as possible.

Edited by qwerty, 17 July 2013 - 06:23 PM.
Removed subdomain name per forum policy

#10 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Sorry I had to edit out your subdomain name, but I checked the response first. It's a 301 redirect to homestead. That means that your site will get dropped shortly after the bot requests it. It also means that if there were any juicy links pointing to that site, Homestead's going to get credit for them if anyone does.

#11 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks qwerty - just to clarify ....

I don't need to do anything else then?...(like 404 the site or add a robots.txt file as has been suggested)

and hopefully Google should drop my old Homestead site soon?

#12 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

No, I think the 301 will do the trick. It tells search engines that the original content is gone for good. The only difference is that it also tells them that it's been permanently moved, but when search engines see that the place to which it's supposedly been moved has nothing to do with the original content, they should get the message that it's more gone than relocated.

If you'd been able to keep the old site in place and have it 301 to your new site, that would have been best, but this should accomplish the same thing a 404 would have.

#13 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

I did this in webmaster tools ....  

Fetch as Google

This is how Googlebot fetched the page.

URL: http://raywatsonsecr....homestead.com/

Date: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 8:10:07 PM PDT

Googlebot Type: Web

Download Time (in milliseconds): 70

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 03:10:07 GMT
Content-Length: 0

I guess time will tell if it drops from the index. cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!