• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Anchor Text Spam In Widgets

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

One could argue that it was the juice from those links that was helping you before, and while Google isn't penalizing you for having those links, they've taken away any benefit you were getting from them. If that's the case, then you're now where you'd be if you had disavowed the links.

OK, so it probably be a waste of time to disavow the links then? Gosh, it's so confusing to know what to do, and I have to do something. Should I at least disavow the cheap domains that have 100's of spammy site-wide links (and all the same anchor text) to my site? It's hard to know if I am getting SOME benefit from them, none at all, or a penalty. If I knew I could act accordingly. If I thought SOME sort of penalty was being applied then I could disavow the ones I most distrust.

WOULD YOU TRY THAT? ie at least disavow the most spammy ones? or am I just wasting time.

#17 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,673 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

If you agree with the argument that no message means no penalty, there's no point in disavowing. It won't hurt, but it's a waste of time and effort.

If you believe it's possible there are grey areas in there, then you've got a series of educated guesses to make. You have to think about how much of a benefit you had been getting from the links and then try to figure out if what you're experiencing is more than just losing that benefit. And of course, it's really hard to be objective about this sort of thing. In the case I mentioned above (which happened long before Google started sending out notices about manual penalties), it was clear that it was more than just losing the benefit of the links -- it wasn't the links that had allowed my site to rank for its own name.

If you decide you're being penalized, you have to figure out which links to disavow, what else you need to change, whether you need to file a reconsideration request, and what you can do to start building up the site to come back from all this.

#18 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I am trying another tactic. I have lost traffic for a certain page that used to be #1 in ranking. It is now on page 3 of SERPS. It has many links pointing to it, but most of the links have exactly the same keyword phrase pointing to it and the anchor text looks a little spammy. I decided to optimised my home page for that keyword instead (leaving the original page in place), but the index page is not showing in the search results for this keyword at all, anywhere. The original "penalised" page is still in the SERPS - on page 3. 

How do I convince Google to shift the results to my home page for this keyword search? Would it help if I NOINDEXED the original page and forced Google to recognise my index page for this keyword?

#19 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

How do I convince Google to shift the results to my home page for this keyword search? 

You can't really convince Google to do anything. Most of the time, unless it's a very general query,  your home page isn't going to be the best one for them to show. 

Would it help if I NOINDEXED the original page and forced Google to recognise my index page for this keyword?

Potentially. But more likely no pages (or a different one) would show instead. 

#20 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,673 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

If you believe the problem is that the page that used to get traffic has too many links with the same anchor text, change that: ask some of the sites linking to you to use different anchor text, and make an effort to build links to the page without asking for any particular anchor text. The best way to make your backlink profile appear natural is to let it be natural.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!