• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Which Is Better For A Domain Name?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sampharo

sampharo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

I am trying to choose a good SEO-friendly domain name, and I have looked at many articles but none are giving a definitive preference. Please help me decide which is better:

Website 1:

www.keyword1keyword2country.com vs www.keyword1keyword2.tld of that country

Website 2:

www.keyword1keyword2modifier.com vs www.keyword1keyword2.org/tld (keyword1keyword2 here has a good "Exact Match" searches for my target traffic)

Thanks a lot

Sam

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

I am trying to choose a good SEO-friendly domain name, and I have looked at many articles but none are giving a definitive preference.

Because there is none. It makes no difference whatsoever. Although if you're targeting a particular country then you definitely what that .tld if you can get it.

#3 sampharo

sampharo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

I may believe that for website 1, but are you positive that a "modifier".com is no different than an EMD with a .org in the case of Website 2?

The "modifier" would be non-search important word like "center" or "guide" or "4u". All SEO blogs insist on the importance of choosing .com, but then also speak about the importance of EMD. This includes Google executives making comments on video that EMD is still an important factor albeit one of many. My question is which is more important: sticking with .com or going for the EMD? You are the first person to say that it "makes no difference whatsoever". 

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

How old are these articles and comments you're referencing? Because it was last September that Google released their EMD update, which in some ways makes it harder to rank well with an EMD.

Yeah, I suppose one could say having an EMD is "still an important factor" in the sense that unless your content is of exceptional quality having an EMD may very well cause you to rank lower than if you didn't have it...

If you've read any articles in these forums (which I recommend; there's a lot of accumulated wisdom here), you'll find we have never been fans of EMDs right from the start.

IMO, there are several reasons why an EMD is a less than optimal tactic for anyone looking to build a real long-term business. They're usually more difficult to brand, they're usually longer (i.e. harder to type/spell), and they don't adapt well if your business direction changes -- just to name a few. Much better to select something short, easy to spell and brandable. Think: Amazon (not "OnlineBookStore.com"), Google (not "SearchEngine.com"), eBay (not "OnlineAuctions.com"), etc.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#5 sampharo

sampharo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I know I came here for SEO advice, and I usually do respect other people's entitlement for their own opinions, but when something is outright incorrect, I can't just let it be.

I don't know about the update that you mention, Torka, but not only are EMD's still highly effective until today, they are ridiculously so. If you would search today for "Edge practice" (a marketing term) on google, you first get the chiropractor clinic hosted at "practiceedge.com.au", followed by a few variable websites, but more importantly you also get right there on Google's first page: Practice-edge.net, a parked page at Godaddy... No content, no backlinks, no articles, a parked page. When I am in Malaysia and search for "property investment", I get propertyinvestment.com.my, and it has zero backlinks, just ok content.

EMD will always... ALWAYS... be important. While SEO programming is computer related, actual searches will always be human-based and psychologically motivated. If EMD's are discounted, then someone searching for New York Times will no longer get their nytimes.com website on the first page, they may get a hundred blogs that are commenting heavily about the new york times stories. Someone checking out Mercedes-Benz will find it a failure not to get Mercedes-benz official website on the first page, and instead getting the second-hand listing websites or car blogs. If someone looks for a brand (like you prefer), how would you like it if you are driven to a hundred competitor websites that deliberately published a lot of articles about how much they are better than that said brand, because the search engine decided their content and backlinks are more relevent?

Search Engines have to deal with people's expectations and references, and while they can analyze content all they want, Search engines cannot decide what searchers actually mean when they type in keywords at the search bar and therefore will always give weight to the website title and domain name that exactly matches the searchers. If they don't, when the internet is already built in this way and the websites all take domains relevent to their subject, they will be bad search engines and people will look elsewhere.

Second, if you would allow me to comment: I don't really believe someone should be a fan of something or not. Keyword research shows a certain number of targeted leads are generated on a certain subject using keywords, and an EMD helps attract that traffic. If an SEO expert "doesn't like" a certain technique that works and produces results and doesn't apply it in their work, I would think that is not a good expert, because experts are there to produce results and be neutral.

So while Amazon.com chooses to invest hundreds of millions into its branding, other small businesses do not. We are mostly USING the internet to generate leads, not identifying ourselves by it. People look for "scuba diving in the red sea" and not my unknown branded center called "Dahab diving center", so I should not be stupid and lose out on solid leads. I can always establish a seperate website with my brand name and fill it with whatever content, but that will always be company centric address. We are currently talking on a forum under the domain "highrankings.com", and if I was selling books online, no I wouldn't choose www.onlinebookstore.com, because people don't search for that much, but sure enough I will grab childrenbooks.com to promote my children book collection. Unless I get spammy or do something remarkably stupid to get slapped out of there, that EMD of childrenbooks.com has more than 8000 exact matches per month and therefore will provide 8000 possible leads every month seeing me on the first page regardless of content and backlinks.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Perhaps you should read the article I referenced. If you claim to be an SEO, you definitely need to know about these Google updates. :)

Beyond that, as I mentioned at the beginning of my comment, we're not huge fans of EMDs here. This isn't a new thing. It's been part of our advice since the forum opened in 2003. Again, if you'd read some of the many, many articles already archived here on these very forums where people have asked the exact same question you're asking, you would already have known that. And you would know that coming here and asking us to choose between two keyword-stuffed domains is probably not going to get you the answer you wanted.

Sorry to disappoint you.

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 14 May 2013 - 10:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!