• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Rich Urls: Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JABacchetta

JABacchetta

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

I've got a site about a specific topic, which we'll call "themes" for the sake of this discussion. I personally like to keep the url structure short and clean (for usability purposes, but mainly because I'm a perfectionist and a minimalist).

I feel that adding "themes" to the url structure is a bit redundant. However, nearly every keyword phrase that my site should rank for includes the word "themes." So I'm wondering how much I'm handicapping myself by not including the keyword "themes" in the url?

The domain name itself sort of includes the keyword . . . although it's in Italian (I chose the domain for it's brand-ability, not for the keyword). A quick example:

My Url Structure: www.themo.com/topic/abc

My Competitor's Url Structure: www.sitesample.com/themes/topic/abc

For many of the keywords, the competitors with the keyword in the url rank highest. But, I'm not sure how much emphasis to place on this, because from my understanding Google doesn't pay as much attention to url keywords anymore . . . and those sites might just be ranking high because they've been around for so long (which also happens to be the reason why they coincidentally also include the keyword in the url, because they started the site when that was a high ranking factor).

Thoughts? Should I just trash my perfectionism and add the keyword to the url structure?

(By the way, the site is only a couple months old and doesn't have any significant backlinks to inner pages yet, so changing the url structure wouldn't be a big deal if I decided to do that).

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thoughts? Should I just trash my perfectionism and add the keyword to the url structure?

No. It's already in the URL as part of the domain.

#3 JABacchetta

JABacchetta

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

No. It's already in the URL as part of the domain.

Even though the domain is the Italian version of the English keyword that I'm targeting?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Something to keep in mind when fretting over "keyword URLs is ...

http://www.webmaster...html#post777529

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Even though the domain is the Italian version of the English keyword that I'm targeting?

Why are you targeting English speakers on an Italian site? 

#6 JABacchetta

JABacchetta

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Why are you targeting English speakers on an Italian site? 

It's not an Italian site. The domain name simply happens to be the English keyword in Italian. I chose it for it's brand-ability. It's very similar to the example given "themo.com" for a website about "themes."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.