• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Assessing Progress

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Hello All,

Though a seasoned programmer I am quite a newbie when it comes to SEO.  First some background

• The "site" I am dealing with is actually an HTML5 webapp that acts as a portal to a service in the cloud.
  • That service is still in beta.  I am doing a deliberately low key beta launch so I can learn from my mistakes
  • What this means in practice is no advertising as yet - I am relying largely on hits organic search results
  • For the 3 or so keywords that are associated with the service the portal site already turns up on Page 1 in position 3-4.
  • Looking at what Google webmaster tools tells me in the two weeks or so that the site has been live there have been aroud 320 impressions for the site with a CTR of around 4.4%
  • If I understand right in real terms this means around 16 visitors coming to the site via Google search results
  • Of these around 50% are signing up for the beta.

As I have said I am an SEO newbie.  I am slowly working away at creating supplementary relevant indexable, searchable content on the portal site.  I understand my market, have worked hard to create good portal site content, have some investment on board and will in due course get some professional help wiht SEO, blogging and the like. However, I do need to manage a relatively small budget and tread carefully.  Judging from what I have summarized above does it sound like I am heading in the right direction or more like it being  a sad case of a hopeless newbie fumbling in the dark?

I hope this does not sound too vague.  I'd much appreciate any help.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

For the 3 or so keywords that are associated with the service the portal site already turns up on Page 1 in position 3-4.

Only three or so??

And I wouldn't pay too much attention to that, it probably won't be there for long.

have been aroud 320 impressions for the site with a CTR of around 4.4%

Any conversions??

#3 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Well signups to the service (which is still in beta) are the conversions I guess.  Like I said, around 16 click throughs and 9 signups (roughly 50% of those who bother to click).

Sorry, I did not understand your other comment - what should I not pay attention to?  The 3-4 keywords, the current position of the site in organic search results...?

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,660 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

New sites tend to show up pretty high in the search results for a little while. Depending on how competitive your keyword phrases are, it's likely the rankings will drop pretty soon.

And Chris' point about the number of keywords is that there are most likely many more phrases that are relevant to the site's content, even if you didn't intentionally target them. Is Webmaster Tools listing impressions for more than the 3 or 4 keywords?

Edited by qwerty, 10 May 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#5 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Web master tools is listing impressions for around 10 keyword combinations.  Only the first two are producing a non-zero CTR - 4.4% and 1% respectively.  The first one - the one which I think of as "my" set of keywords - has 320 impressions. The second one has around 100.  The others are in double digits or less and have zero or near-zero click throughs.

How long does it take for a new site to start dropping in organic search results?  Mine has been around now for just over two weeks.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Webmaster tools is the wrong place to look for that info. You should be looking at Google Analytics. That will show you the exact traffic you're getting to the site. 

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,660 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

True, but Webmaster Tools will show you phrases that you're relevant enough to show up for, even if it didn't lead to traffic. You can use that information and a quick check on search volume to see if those phrases are worth actually pursuing. It may be that you would get traffic for the phrase if you made a few changes to a page, or created a new page that targeted it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!