Though a seasoned programmer I am quite a newbie when it comes to SEO. First some background
- The "site" I am dealing with is actually an HTML5 webapp that acts as a portal to a service in the cloud.
- That service is still in beta. I am doing a deliberately low key beta launch so I can learn from my mistakes
- What this means in practice is no advertising as yet - I am relying largely on hits organic search results
- For the 3 or so keywords that are associated with the service the portal site already turns up on Page 1 in position 3-4.
- Looking at what Google webmaster tools tells me in the two weeks or so that the site has been live there have been aroud 320 impressions for the site with a CTR of around 4.4%
- If I understand right in real terms this means around 16 visitors coming to the site via Google search results
- Of these around 50% are signing up for the beta.
As I have said I am an SEO newbie. I am slowly working away at creating supplementary relevant indexable, searchable content on the portal site. I understand my market, have worked hard to create good portal site content, have some investment on board and will in due course get some professional help wiht SEO, blogging and the like. However, I do need to manage a relatively small budget and tread carefully. Judging from what I have summarized above does it sound like I am heading in the right direction or more like it being a sad case of a hopeless newbie fumbling in the dark?
I hope this does not sound too vague. I'd much appreciate any help.