• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Deleting Outdated Or Unwanted Posts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

I've got some old posts on my site that were either time sensitive and now outdated or are not only old but just really didn't have much good content on them in the first place (paragraph of text with a link to an article on another site).

They've been on the site for years, so they're certainly indexed. But they aren't posts that are brining traffic to the site (looking at Analytics confirms this).

Should I still do a 301 on the URL or can I just delete them and be done with it?

Thanks!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,579 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

If no one's linking to them or looking for them (analytics indicates that they've gotten no traffic lately) and your server is going to respond to requests for them with a proper 404, I see nothing wrong with just deleting them. I also see nothing wrong with leaving them up. They're not doing any harm, right?

#3 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

I don't need or want them on the site. They aren't doing any harm but they aren't needed.

The question is, if a post is indexed but isn't one bringing traffic to the site and hardly if ever visited then can you just delete? If anyone would have it bookmarked, which I doubt, they will get a 404. A 301 would be optional in my eyes.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,579 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Of course you can delete it. It's up to you to decide if the page has any value (to you, to your readers, or to a search engine) that could be transferred elsewhere. If you decide it doesn't, delete it.

And keep in mind that this decision doesn't mean you've crossed the point of no return. If you delete a page because you don't think it's of use to anyone and then you find that you're getting 404s because someone's trying to reach the page, you can set up a 301 any time. But you need to have a relevant page to which those requests could be redirected, or you'll be harming the user experience.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,875 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

The question is, if a post is indexed but isn't one bringing traffic to the site and hardly if ever visited then can you just delete?

You can definitely just delete it. 

I do prefer 301'ing however. Just to keep things tidy.

#6 ElvisH

ElvisH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

if its an outdated content I would have rather to add a note & link to new updated info ex.
"this page contain outdated info about seo techniques, you can read here about new seo techniques"

Edited by ElvisH, 12 May 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,700 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Isn't that somewhat contradictory to what you suggested here with regards to duplication of content?

#8 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Jill, your reply was exactly what I was looking for and spot on. Thanks.

#9 Lisa-BFWM

Lisa-BFWM

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

I think I wouldn't delete but use a 301 redirect as suggested. I like http://wordpress.org...ns/redirection/  plugin to direct to another relevant page/post on the site.

Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!