• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Using Hired Link Builders

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hello All,

I am new to HR and a relative newbie when it comes to SEO.  I need to work seriously at promoting a new site and service - which is all about HTML5, Web2 etc.  I have little time to digress into any serious link building myself so I am considering outsourcing this task.  There is a plethora of offers out there.  Amongst the offers I have found are

• Creating X backlinks via comments in blogs
  • Ditto but focusing on .edu blogs
  • Social bookmarks
  • Social bookmarks with PH5+
  • Morphing and submitting the same article text to X article sites

The prices are variable - ranging from as little as $20 to anything upwards of $399.  Being a relative newbie I thought it best to seek some advice before whipping out my credit card.  Are there any do's and don'ts in this game.  Do any of the above sound like a waste of time/money or both?  Any other generic tips I might be able to use would be most welcome.  Please don't tell me to DIY - there are only 24h a day and sadly that is not enough.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

I'm afraid all of that sounds pretty bad.

If you're going to outsource link building, you should find someone who'll propose some of the following:

• Guest posting on authoritative sites -- and it would have to be valuable content, relevant to both their site and yours, published to only one site.
  • Creating valuable content on your site and promoting it through outreach to influencers and other sites in your niche.
  • Identifying valuable content you've created and promoting it the same way.

All of the above should be creative original content with the potential to become viral and/or the kind of information that will help to establish you as an expert in your field. Anything less than that (and particularly the stuff that's been proposed to you) is the kind of garbage that won't work anymore and that Google has finally started punishing (after years of complaining on this forum that that's what they ought to do).

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Creating X backlinks via comments in blogs

Spamming.

Ditto but focusing on .edu blog

Useless spamming

Social bookmarks

Useless if not properly argetted

Social bookmarks with PH5+

Doubly useless (see above)

Morphing and submitting the same article text to X article sites

Pointless waste of money.

AND any of the above in various combinations will probably  do more harm than good.

#4 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Thank you!  You confirm pretty much everything I had suspected myself.  My commonsense tells me that the only real way to get on page 1 of search results is by ensuring that the page contains content that is relevant to the information that the current user (of the search engine) is seeking. 

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

• Guest posting on authoritative sites -- and it would have to be valuable content, relevant to both their site and yours, published to only one site.
  • Creating valuable content on your site and promoting it through outreach to influencers and other sites in your niche.
  • Identifying valuable content you've created and promoting it the same way.

I hear and understand this but what I don't 'capiche' is regularity/frequency. I have done some in-depth reading about google reviews and it talks to the authority of the reviewer which includes both profile completeness and review regularity.  So a review posted by someone who logs in once, no profile pic, etc gets little weight compared to the frequent flyer.

In the same context, would guest posting be valuable if you're a one-timer on that site or does it matter as the content is quality?

Can you provide an example of outreach to influencers?

Edited by bobmeetin, 10 May 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

I think it's fine to contribute just once to a given site, and using authorship markup there should help, but only if you've got a place where you contribute regularly (and of course where you also use the authorship markup).

I can't provide an example of outreach to influencers -- not yet, anyway. My experience in social media is pretty limited, and it's only in the web marketing field, where I know plenty of influencers, but I don't make any efforts to use those relationships to promote myself.

I now work for a company in a field where I don't know influential people (except an old friend from college who's been in the business for about 20 years), so finding them, connecting with them, and convincing them to help me promote the sites I work for is not something I'm prepared to do. That's why we're working with a couple of link building agencies right now, using them to do that outreach (among other things) for us. I expect we'll end up in a long-term relationship with one of the agencies, but I'm personally hoping to learn enough from working with them that I can at least contribute to the process.

#7 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Ummm... what constitutes a good link building agency?  Does outsourcing this kind of work to India or the Philippines work or are there too many issues with distance, time, understanding and language to make it all worthwhile?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Does outsourcing this kind of work to India or the Philippines work 

They're typically the spammiest.

#9 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hey I've fallen behind in my blog, the entry about the spammers; I have been collecting these "I can help you Jill" emails for about a year with the intention of posting them in my blog.  That being said, I have well over 100 including a variety of repeat offenders.  I could certainly shuffle the lot to you if you want. You may need to up the disk space limit on your email service - be prepared :)

#10 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thank you, all.  The thing that puzzles me is this - you say, Qwerty, that Google has now started punishing for spammy site promotions via blog comments, irrelevant backlinks etc.  Which may well be nice but it strikes me that this could be misused.  How does Google tell apart spammy promotions created by you from those created by others with the intent of harming your business by meting out a Google "punishment" on you?

#11 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

And that's how we've gotten the concept of "negative SEO," where someone points a load of spammy links at your site in order to get you bitten by the Penguin. We don't have an absolute consensus in the community about whether it actually works, though.

Actually, that claim has been floating around since before Penguin, but of course you hear about it more now that Google's seriously cracking down on bad link profiles.

#12 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

If they are punishing for spammy stuff, then how about the blog that has 25% content and 90% promotion (yes, mathematically 115% but correct spelling). Between and betwixt every couple sentences of useful data you find banner ads, google adsense, affiliate crud, tons of nonsense that kills the user experience. No response required.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

How does Google tell apart spammy promotions created by you from those created by others with the intent of harming your business by meting out a Google "punishment" on you?

Those types of bad promotions can't hurt your site if you have lots of real links and people talking about you. They only hurt you if they're the bulk of where your links come from. 

So it's very rare for what people refer to as "negative SEO" to hurt an otherwise popular website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.