• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Are Bit.ly Linked Bad For Seo Or Bad For Email Spam Filtering?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

I sent out a blast to my list and included a bit.ly link.

The response was very poor and I dont think it was the copy or the offer - rather I think it was the fact that the bit.ly was deemed suspicious.

My question is - do you reckon that URL shortners due to their inherent cloaking get flagged by spam filters?

Clearly my bit.ly could easily be a malware or Java drive by and I appreciate that. Now that I experienced this lesson I'm against using bit.ly for email.

Thoughts?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

I get plenty of emails that include shortened URLs, so it would appear that neither Thunderbird nor Gmail is filtering them out. However, I am one of those people who tends not to trust them. When I mouse over a link, I look at the URL that's displayed before I click, and I only click shortened URLs if I already know the person who sent the email.

Then again, if I were properly paranoid, I'd only click a link -- any link -- that came from someone I trusted.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Not sure why your question also asked about SEO implications. Your email sends have nothing to do with SEO.

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

I don't usually trust them. Qwerty says he tends not to trust them. Many of the regulars in this forum probably don't trust them.

But I'd bet that maybe 99 percent of the population don't have a clue what a bit.ly link looks like - and wouldn't know where to look for them. So unless your mail shot was to a particularly tech-savvy audience, I would rule out lack of trust as a reason for the poor response rate.

I would also be surprised if they are blocked by spam filters, but I can't know that for sure.

If you would like to go on using bit.ly links, why not test it for yourself? Include the link in a mailing to half the list; use the full link for the other half; keep everything else identical; and compare the results.

Mike

Edited by Mikl, 10 May 2013 - 06:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.