• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Preparing A Disavow List

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

A client of mine is preparing his disavow list to hopefully get out of penguin. He appears on sites like bookmark4u, scoop.it, tumblr, and url.org which send many links to many different internal pages of his site, shall I consider this URLs on the list to be removed? I know these are well known sites with good reputation however the number of links they point to the site can be hurting the site in any way?

Also, what about the domain review sites like domaintools, and low quality news sites that might have picked up a press release from the client?.

I'll appreciate your comments

Thanks

Carlos.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Personally I'm finding this "disavow links" debacle hilarious Not too many moons ago the "experts" were babbling on about how links, links and more links is the only way for "SEO"

NOW those same "experts" are busy telling their eager listeners how they should "disavow" those 'valuable' links, and in doing so let Google know EXACTLY what they were upto previously.

• vipinsham likes this

#3 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

I didn't get the site banned, I wonder where you got that from, mister omniscient.

I am not familiar to social bookmarking sites, therefore my question, I don't know how valuable these links are, if at all.

If you are not in the mood of answering questions then just don't, thanks.

Edited by BeGlobal, 08 May 2013 - 12:59 PM.

• Jill likes this

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

My guess is that the bookmarking sites are probably not helpful (and typically they're nofollow anyway). But I don't believe they need to be disavowed. (IMO)

#5 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Thank you!

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

I didn't get the site banned, I wonder where you got that from, mister omniscient.

Did I mentioned banned?  Did I even imply banned???

I am simply musing on the fact that many long term readers/members  of HR have finally caught up with what has been said here continuously about links, since the forum first launched, and even before that by the same people. It has been close to twenty years that the HR ethos has been that good content and 'quality' links the "secret" of good SEO and that chasing and checking rankings was pointless, along with plenty of ridicule bandied about at "other places" for that viewpoint.

Now those same places seem to have changed their tune now that reality has finally caught up with them. It also seems that you were also slow to realise what we were saying was FACT and not some fantasy dreamed up by an "expert".

Maybe, had more wannabee SEOs been taking notice then, there wouldn't be the mad flapping around of 'penguins' now, with their heads up their own rectal orifice and wondering who turned the light off!!

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Chris, many of us our left to clean up what the "bad" SEOs did, which is why this sort of information is important.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Couldn't agree more, it's simply that I'm finding the irony in the "bad SEOs" singing from a different  song sheet and clamouring to "disavow" their former rhetoric while, STILL expecting to be taken seriously quite amusing.

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Point taken. I read an article on one of the major sites yesterday about how all the things we all used to do are going to get you in trouble now, and I kept thinking, "what do you mean 'we'?"

• torka likes this

#10 surenot

surenot

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Well the only thing I can tell you is if you have never done it before then be very carefull there is no turning back it's like brain surgery one wrong move and the pacient is gone :)

I can tell you that it work takes time but if disavow list is done correctly it works like a charm.

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

... it's like brain surgery one wrong move and the pacient is gone

Not really, ... If you HAVE to start 'disavowing' links, you have already killed the patient and now you are trying some desperate, last ditch resuscitation in the hope of reviving your victim.

#12 MarkWarner

MarkWarner

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

I would focus on the low quality news sites first, especially ones that picked up press releases with followed links. On the other end of the spectrum, I wouldn't worry about the review/domain tools website links too much, most popular websites will have those so I think that Google it pretty good at ignoring them.

You should also take note that adding those to the disavow list doesn't just get you out of a penguin downgrade automatically. First the links need to be recrawled in order for the disavows to be recognized. After that, Google will need to refresh the penguin algorithm. Re-crawling the links is likely going to take months, not days.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

I would focus on the low quality news sites first, especially ones that picked up press releases with followed links.

Why? If you didn't place them yourself, you shouldn't need to disavow them. Google is pretty smart that way. 

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

I was going to post this in a different thread (posted today) ,on a similar topic, but here it will have to do.

From TWiG (This Week in Google)  a couple of weeks ago.

http://twit.tv/show/...k-in-google/248

Skip on to ~4:25 to get the relevant bit.

Edited by chrishirst, 22 May 2014 - 08:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!