• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Blog Placement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J3ff

J3ff

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I've been rethinking my strategy for blog placement on websites and maximizing the benefits of having a blog.  I see distinct advantages and disadvantages to locating a blog in 3 different places.

1) yoursite.com/blog

2) blog.yoursite.com

3) 3rd party platform such as blogger or wordpress

The first option obviously rewards you with constantly updating content and also you can do internal keyword linking.  The disadvantage is not being able to create external keyword links from your blog.

The second option allows you to keep the blog on your server, but since its on a subdomain (and treated as a separate domain), the link building to the primary site would be considered from a separate domain instead of being considered internal links, thus giving you the value of external incoming links. However, if its treated as a separate domain, you wouldn't get the benefit of the blog being treated as new content on the primary site as you made updates.

The third option gives you the simplicity of using a 3rd party blog platform and allows you to build the incoming links, but then no fresh content on your site.

I'm curious at how Google recognizes external blogs and associates them to your website, and what types of beneftis and rewards are given for an associated blog other than the incoming links?

Any thoughts on other advantages and disadvantages?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

First option. Always. 

That said, you have many wrong assumptions in your post. 

The first option obviously rewards you with constantly updating content and also you can do internal keyword linking.  The disadvantage is not being able to create external keyword links from your blog.

Your blog isn't there to link to yourself. It's there to have great content that others want to read, share and link to.

The second option allows you to keep the blog on your server, but since its on a subdomain (and treated as a separate domain), the link building to the primary site would be considered from a separate domain instead of being considered internal links, thus giving you the value of external incoming links. 

Untrue. It's part of your site just as the first option is.  And again, the idea of a your own blog is not to link to yourself.

The third option gives you the simplicity of using a 3rd party blog platform and allows you to build the incoming links, but then no fresh content on your site.

Your blog should be on your site. Otherwise you lose all the links that people are giving you for your great content. 

#3 fb3003

fb3003

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

Greetings -

I would like to use the first option: yoursite.com/blog and have few questions.

We are providing a cloud based application and have 2 domains:

1. mybusiness.com, which is using wordpress

2. myapplication.com, which is a cloud based application.  We do have a simple html page which explains the application.  The content is included in the index.html.  Because of technology limitation, we cannot have any blog application on the server that has the cloud based application

if I want to have the blog hosted on mybusiness.com, but have the traffic get directed to myapplication.com, to help it improve its ranking, what would be the impact if I use URL redirect, which is managed through DNS setting provided by the domain registration company?

bascialy, I would update the DNS settings so that myapplication.com/blog presents content from mybusiness.com/blog.  This is kind of URL masking. 

would such process even help SEO ranking for myapplication.com? 

I am assuming that I need to update the robot.txt file on mybusiness.com so that it would NOT read the blog, so that it would count the blog as duplicate content and hurt the ranking for both sides.  Please let me know if this is correct as well or not.

Many thanks in advance

FB

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

I'm curious at how Google recognizes external blogs and associates them to your website, and what types of beneftis and rewards are given for an associated blog other than the incoming links?

When it comes to links and SEO, 1 blog rarely makes a difference and it usually takes years or a huge marketing budget to build a single blog up to the point where it CAN make a difference.

So thinking in terms of how to get the most link value for SEO out of a blog is the wrong way to look at this.

The blog can be your site's advocate on the Web, communicating with customers and strangers alike, demonstrating the value that your brand offers them.

It really doesn't matter where the blog is hosted. What matters is what you do with the blog.

Jill's concern about the links you earn with a remotely hosted blog on a service like Wordpress.com or Blogspot.com is valid (you lose the link value if you shut down the blog) but link value decays anyway. If you simply stop publishing new content then over time your old backlinks will fade away and you'll lose the link value anyway.

So don't worry about the links. Worry about what you can do for your visitors that makes them appreciate you blogging in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!