• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Page Speed Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gwilli68

gwilli68

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

Hi all - Im new here, and am looking forward to learning!  I hope you can help me with a problem Im having....

I am well aware that page load speed can affect search engine rankings, as well as conversions.  

When I run a page speed report for my site, it actually gets a pretty good score - and one that is much better than my competitors.

However, in reality, the site takes a long time to load.  My analytics account is telling me that the average page load time is 12seconds! I have tried on several computers, with different connections, and the issue seems to exist on all of them (some quicker than others, but always much slower than my competitors).

I do not understand why the page speed reports do not pick this issue up and more importantly, I dont understand how it can be improved.  There is a obviously a specific issue here as my site isnt filled with large pictures or video or anything like that.  Yes Im currently split testing some of the pages but I dont believe this causes the issue.

Can anyone please help?

Appreciate it, thanks!

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Some worldwide speed background: http://royal.pingdom...ross-the-world/

For testing speed: http://www.webpagetest.org/ - if you click on Advanced you have some options for testing at various speeds.

A phrase to remember:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

As for what the actual speed is before you can penalized, I really don't know, 4,8,12,20 seconds? Whenever you read data like that try to find out what speed their benchmark speed is.  Then you can do a comparative check using the second URL.

I live in an open source CMS world and have to watch this. Not all CMS nor themes are built alike. This may not apply to you, but theme design shops have this thing about demo-ing themes with all the bells/whistles enabled. Facebook, twitter, slideshows, content sliders, robust images, widgets from other sites, etc. They bring with them a price, slow download speed = unhappy visitor experience = maybe unhappy G.

If you use Firefox you can download the Web Developer toolbar with Firebug and ySlow.  Those tools will help you identify the offenders. 

#3 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

ySlow, Google Pagespeed and similar tools are very helpful.

A common problem is Javascript plugins (such as "AddThis" or "ShareThis").  A page is often not seen as being loaded until all such plugins have loaded. If you can change things to load as many extras as possible in the onLoad event, rather than as part of the page, this will help page speed.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Yes, if gwilli68 cares to private PM me (perhaps Alan) the URL we can probably identify some potential bottlenecks without breaking list rules.  AddThis - omg! I ran some speed tests with this and some other extensions.  It's a deal-killer. 

One of the problems with how the internet has evolved is that there are a lot of seemingly useful tools out there, but when you build them into a site, there are consequences.  I can see a lot of designers/developers assembling sites and viewing them on lightning fast connections with no consideration of their audience's connection bandwidth. Fail...

Facebook Like, Facebook Login - yes there are significant advantages but they do come with a price. A snarl of extra javascript and reliance on your connection to Facebook's server. So sometimes good other times laborious. 

A couple months back I developed some custom Ajax code so that these functions are only called when you click a button.  You can probably do the same with AddThis. You have to search and test, but there are Ajaxy slideshows out there as well.  Class dismissed.

#5 gwilli68

gwilli68

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Thank you.  I will send you a message.  I do have some facebook like buttons, but nothing too major so Id be surprised if thats causing the issue (though im by no means an expert with this). I have similar sites, with similar wordpress themes, on the hosted by the same company that dont have the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!