• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Change From .shtml To .php. Redirect Index ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kslnor

kslnor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I recently changed from a website, where the pages were /example.shtml, to a Wordpress blog (I believe all the pages have the .php suffix). 

While looking at my "pages not found" (via the Wordpress SEO tool I use - not Google Webmaster Tools), I noticed index.shtml as a page not found. 

Should index.shtml be 301 redirected to index.php? 

Thanks.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,601 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Actually, both /index.shtml and /index.php should be redirected to just /.

#3 ElvisH

ElvisH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

why redirecting to the index at all? just redirect to the domain.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

You cannot redirect an index file to the root.  The Web server will crash with too many redirects.

Any file named "index.html", "index.htm", "index,shtm", "index.shtm", "index.php", or "index.asp" will generally be served if the directory name is requested (this is always set up in the Web server configuration but most default installations handle these file extensions).

There is no redirection involved.  If you link to or request "example.com/index.php" that URL will be honored by the Web server.  A search engine may treat it as separate and distinct from "example.com" because there is a hierarchy of preferences among the file extensions and the search engines have no way of knowing whether a site is serving content on two or more of these file types.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,770 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

You cannot redirect an index file to the root.  The Web server will crash with too many redirects.

Actually you can,

http://www.highranki...or-wo-indexphp/

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

You're confusing a RewriteRule with a redirect (which distinction the original poster and most people probably couldn't care less about).  Technically, a RewriteRule is executed by a different module from a Redirect.  RewriteRules can (at least in some cases) be executed without handing off a (301 or any other) status code.

RewriteRules are preferred to redirects in most cases because the user never sees the change in URL (whereas with a Redirect or RedirectMatch the user is handed back a second URL to request).

#7 ElvisH

ElvisH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

Any file named "index.html", "index.htm", "index,shtm", "index.shtm", "index.php", or "index.asp" will generally be served if the directory name is requested (this is always set up in the Web server configuration but most default installations handle these file extensions).

There is no redirection involved.  If you link to or request "example.com/index.php" that URL will be honored by the Web server.  A search engine may treat it as separate and distinct from "example.com" because there is a hierarchy of preferences among the file extensions and the search engines have no way of knowing whether a site is serving content on two or more of these file types.

I got a website with 2.5k visitors a day with redirect from index to domain and 0 crashes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!