• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Sept 2012 Emd - Slapped Home Improvement Site

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gravymatt

gravymatt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hi folks, I had tuned into Jill and Karon's webinar today and gleened a few good tips and heard there was a discussion board here at HighRanking.com.

So I was wonder what you had for  a nickel's worth of free advice for a Exact Match domain penalty? I have an exact match domain site that was riding really high for industry Home Improvement terms in Google a few #1 spots and the site was maybe a grade of a B or B+, we use to be aggressive with link exchanges up until like 2008 then we just stopped trading links. 

Then, I do believe it was EMD, as you can see from the tweet from Mr. Cutts suggesting that EMD batten down their hatches circa Sept 29, 2012 and the subsequent drop in traffic from the attached screenshot of Analytics. We lost our first page rankings and have not rallied back to any top spots

Mr.  Cutts predicted our fall from grace in his Sept 29  tweet 
 - minor weather report: small upcoming algo change will reduce low-quality "exact-match" domains in search results. 

The good parts of the site

It had/sort of has a lively discussion board where homeowners can chit chat with Home Improvement Pro's that frequent the board and answer questions. 

Our Developer created a home grown review section where users can review their purchased 

We had basic home owner info that unfortunately was old and probably was scrapped

Our site has been around even before me at this company pre 2003

The bad parts

Maybe the content got Panda'd because it was thin and Google didn't feel the discussion board carried enough weight

The grey

We are a lead generation site taking people basic contact info, no credit cards or secret stuff, and selling the sales lead to big companies like Sears, Lowes, HD, etc

We had no brand - our site name was based of the keyword phrase were going after

We have no mobile CSS, but the site template is circa 2004 so it was designed for browser res of 1028px wide, so it fits smartphones.

Our Attempts to fix it

We had a paragraph in our site template on every page that linked to the quote form that users could click to get a link, it was not trick and explained where it went. 

We are adding smidges of new content but don't have a full time content person

Update the homepage with deeper links to our discussion board and reviews to highlight good posts for users, and we are for "real" just linking to Posts we like that have useful consumer info

Any thoughts, questions, or ideas are welcome

Thanks, Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• image (3).png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!