• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Moving From Template Site To Wordpress, Delete Old Pages?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysos

Chrysos

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

I have an old template real estate website that has been active since 2004, it has slipped a bit but still ranks on page one of Google. Probably about 10 pages out of 80 have any traffic. There are at least 10 pages that have boilerplate content that I never deleted in the beginning and then was afraid to delete once I did well on Google. 

I am currently working on a move to a Wordpress site, copying content over and tidying up as much as I can as I go. It's embarrassing to see all the stuff I should have gotten rid of years ago. I would like to delete these 10 or so pages. They are indexed by Google but get no traffic. For example there are a couple of pages that have no content except for an iframe going to an old parade of homes website and one that frames an energy saver page from the department of energy. I'm worried about what Google will do if I just delete these pages and how I can clean out these low quality pages and minimize any effect on my organic rankings.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• youngsunson likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

They are indexed by Google but get no traffic

Then they are of no use at all.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

Ditto.

#4 Chrysos

Chrysos

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I agree they are of no use. My concern is that removing them at the same time I am making this move will affect my google organic results, just from the drop in the number of indexed pages. And is there a method to notify Google that they were deleted?

I realize that this is not important to someone who manages hundreds of websites, but this is MY business. I cannot afford to make a mistake. One of the main reasons that I have done my own SEO is that it matters so much to me. No one that I hired would care the way I do.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

My concern is that removing them at the same time I am making this move will affect my google organic results, just from the drop in the number of indexed pages.

It won't. You said they don't get any Google traffic and are low-quality pages. The only affect removing them can have is positive.

You may want to just 301 redirect them to whatever page is most similar on your site in case there are any old links out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!