• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Do I Find Out What My Address Is? Www Or Not

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 abreathof

abreathof

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm confused about the use of www. I just read that sitename.com is different than www.sitename.com.
I don't want to use www. But how do I know if my actual address contains it, and if I need to do something called a redirect?

Both using www and not using it brings up my page when I type them into the url field in my browser.
When I signed up for my site, is that when it was decided if my site uses www or not? Will my web host know the answer?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Would love a quick explanation about this.

Thanks for your patience. :-)

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,137 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Most of the time Google combines them and only indexes one of them. But if you want to be sure you can always ask your hosting company to 301 redirect the non-www to the www (or vice-versa) via a 301 redirect.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,662 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

For most servers, by default, any URL can be reached either with or without www. That's not necessarily a problem, but it can be.

Try using the site operator to see what the search engines have in their index. That is, search on [site:domain.com] and see if the results include URLs exclusively with or without www, or if you get a mix. If it's all one version, then either you already have a redirect in place, or as Jill suggested, the search engine has chosen for you.

If it's mixed, or if the choice Google has made isn't the one you'd make yourself, you can set up a 301 redirect from one version to the other. And if you have your hosting company do it for you, make sure that the response code really is a 301. They don't always get it right.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,437 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

www is just a subdomain that is commonly aliased (CNAME record) to the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)

It does not HAVE to be the same as domain.tld but has simply become accepted as the norm.

#5 abreathof

abreathof

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hi:

So it sounds like I can just choose whether to use www or not.

I did type in site: Here are the results...

Google: Both showed up as www.domain.com in results
Yahoo: nothing showed up for site:www.domain.com. Several results for site:domain.com
Bing: 1 showed up for site:www.domain.com. Lots of results for site:domain.com

I'm thinking this means I should get a redirect in place from www.domain.com to domain.com (If that's the address I want to use.) Yes? Thanks!!!

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Doesn't matter.  How do you market the site? Use that as your guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!