• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Not Showing Up In Bing Or Yahoo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 abreathof

abreathof

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi. I hope you'll be gentle. I'm not very tech-y, but trying to learn :-)

1. I'm getting ready to launch my vacation rental site. When I type in "site name dot com" in google search, my site comes up as the first result. When I type it into Bing or Yahoo search I don't see it on the first few pages. I guess I don't understand. Shouldn't it be the first result since it is an exact match? I went to Bing Webmaster tools. It did say it was crawling 18 pages. Don't know if this info helps...

2. I did some reading, and decided maybe I needed to make a XML sitemap. BUT I'm not sure if I should use www in the address or not. How can I find out if my address uses www? Can I just choose what to use? I tested on my browser. It works whether you type the www or not. Is it OK to just create a XML sitemap with the adress not using www? Can I just choose not to, or is it more complicated than that?

3. Since Yahoo and Bing are the same (I think) will I need to make whatever fix is needed to both?

Sorry, this is probably such basic stuff. Read several Sitemap posts on the forum before posting, but frankly didn't understand much of it, cuz it was more advanced.

Really appreciate any help you can give.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

Bing is just slow with new sites. It's doubtful an XML site map will help. Since it is new, you'll need links.

#3 abreathof

abreathof

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Jill. I've had the site up for over a year, while I've been adding to it. Seems they would have found it by now, especially using an exact match on the website name.

I did just submit the URL with the webmaster tool to Bing. Maybe that'll help too? I think I only have 2 links so far. I'll work on that.

Since Jan, Webtools on Bing says 802 pages crawled and 25 indexed. So they see it. It seems really weird to me that searching for the exact match doesn't give a result.

#4 abreathof

abreathof

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I did just verify that it is in their index, if that makes any difference...

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, I was just going to ask if you did a site: command. If it's in the index then all the site maps in the world can't do anything for you.

So there's definitely not an indexing problem.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Bing is pickier than Google.  They'll make you work harder for the traffic they can send.

SEO for Bing is very different from SEO for Google.  I recommend you read the Bing Webmaster Guidelines.

Understand that these two search engines have very different core audiences and those audiences do NOT share the same search values.

Bing recently published some interesting demographic data about who their users are.  It's well worth a read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!