• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Content Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davej1963

davej1963

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

I have a quick question about duplicate content. I'm developing a web site for a car dealer who is part of a family of 6 car dealerships; 5 have their own web site already in place.

All of these sites have the same About Us, Contact Us, as well as other duplicate content across the entire family of sites. I've read a lot of conflicting stories about duplicate content and I want to know if this is a problem as far as getting rankings. Do I need to get everything re-written, or are they OK the way they are?  Thanks in advance.

ps. Any links that explain this in detail would be great.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

I doubt this is going to be an issue. Unless you've got duplicate content all over the place, it doesn't lead to any sort of penalty. Google just determines which page to treat as canonical (or you use rel-canonical to indicate your own preference) and they basically just ignore the non-canonical pages.

But assuming each of the dealerships sells a different make, there's no reason the About Us pages have to be identical.  Each dealership's page can have information about how long it's been in business, the service department's expertise in working with that particular kind of vehicle, etc.

The Contact Us pages will each have unique addresses and phone numbers, and I imagine the rest of it will be a form. Nothing to worry about there. And you might also consider having a single contact form on a site representing all of the dealerships (if there is one). That way, if a given customer is on the Honda site and goes to the contact form, they'll have the option of requesting information from the other dealerships too. Maybe seeing the option of getting information about not just Hondas, but also Subarus and Jaguars (lots of people who shop for Hondas end up buying Jags, right?) would be good for business.

In other words, I think duplicate content, in this case, should be much less of a concern than thinking of ways to serve your customers as well as you can.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

As Qwerty says, they really don't need to be the same. If you feel they do, then put one about us page on the main dealership site and link to that one from all the others.

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Or, you could consider using Robots.txt to remove the likes of About Us and Contact Us from search results. Much better for a search to lead directly to your "selling" pages. That would also remove the risk (if any) of duplicate content.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.