• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Pros And Cons Using Of Social Media Marketing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Monotheist

Monotheist

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi,

Can someone highlight the pros and cons of social media marketing? Everyone mostly highlights the pros but only a few focus on the cons?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

The pros are pretty obvious: it's a great way to keep in contact with and grow your audience. It's also good for creating relationships with influencers in your niche. And it's a ranking signal (it's not clear how strong) in Bing.

That last sentence points out one of the cons: it's not very helpful (not directly, anyway) with Google, because G doesn't have access to a lot of the data that's out there on Twitter and Facebook. Of course, there's Google+, which you have to use simply because it's the social signal that Google clearly pays attention to. Another con is that, not surprisingly, it's a lot of work that doesn't take the place of any of the other work you're already doing to promote a site. Even if you've got social media people on your team, you have to monitor what they're doing to make sure it's all in line with your overall online marketing efforts.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I disagree that it's not helpful on google. Of course they are looking at the number of shares and likes of any content. But not just the number, who's doing the likes and shares, with trusted accounts having more "weight."  

They'd be foolish not to.  

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,108 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

The cons????

If you are not targeted with what you post on "Social Media" you are just wasting your time.

AND posting simply for SE 'value' which may or may not exist is simply another waste of time.

The "useful" aspect of 'social media' is the targeted traffic, NOT the vague chance of 'rankings'

Edited by chrishirst, 27 April 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Con: Using someone who doesn't understand your brand very well to be its voice on social media.

#6 RobinOctane

RobinOctane

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

The cons????

If you are not targeted with what you post on "Social Media" you are just wasting your time.

AND posting simply for SE 'value' which may or may not exist is simply another waste of time.

The "useful" aspect of 'social media' is the targeted traffic, NOT the vague chance of 'rankings'

Curious, what are some ways you would do Targeted Social Marketing on Facebook for say an Electrician?

Edited by RobinOctane, 24 August 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

RobinOctane, that would depend on whether the electrician's prospects and clients are on FB to begin with.

I think that's what Chris was talking about -- this idea some businesses seem to have that they "have to" be on Twitter (and FB and Pinterest and whatever the social network du jour happens to be) because "everybody" is there. They end up spending all day updating their statuses and pinning photos and sharing videos and neglect all the other (probably more productive) marketing opportunities out there.

For example, I work for a company that manufactures and sells time and attendance tracking tools (timeclocks, software, etc.). While I created a Pinterest account for us to reserve the company's brand name there, and I spent maybe a half hour pinning a few photos just so the account wouldn't be empty, that's about all the time I've invested there because our potential customers simply aren't spending a lot of time on Pinterest. I don't care how "hot" Pinterest is, it isn't where we'll find the people we want to reach. My time is better spent on other marketing activities.

You shouldn't pick a platform, then try to figure out how to target your market from there. Rather, figure out which platforms your target customers are already using, then decide how to reach them there appropriately -- as part of an overall marketing plan. Social media is not a strategy, it's a tactic... and should be only one of many marketing tactics in use.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#8 Brainchild

Brainchild

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Con: Using someone who doesn't understand your brand very well to be its voice on social media.

this has always been the problem of the company i've worked with before. they just hire people to write posts without training them or giving them an orientation about the product/services of the clients. this leads to posts that are not really related to the client and worse posts with links from the competitors.

this i think is the biggest con in social media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!