• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Author Seems Great - Anyone Seen Any Benefits?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

A while back Jill suggested Google Author in a post I wrote - and I checked it out and am using it. I think its great. It adds a touch of credibility i feel when you seen your photo next to your post. Anyways - does anyone here think it add SEO value?

I reckon it does in terms of human credibility - i.e., getting traffic via real people but do bots like the fact that you are the author or anything else?

• etahmid and helponbusiness like this

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

AJ Kohn has written extensively about the Authorship program.  It does appear to provide a boost in click-through rates and Google has been experimenting with ways of showing users more content by an author.

It's not yet a make-or-break feature but is certainly nice to have going for you.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

There's also a growing belief that Google is going to start using something called "Author Rank" (or maybe it's referred to as AuthorRank). I don't know whether it's actually going to happen, or exactly what's supposed to be involved in it, but I believe it's related to authorship markup. I guess if Google is going to start making use of what they know about authors as entities and whatever influence they have in some way that will affect ranking, then the proper use of code that identifies a given author would help them in that effort.

The only things I'm fairly certain of is that Authorship and Author Rank are not synonymous, and that while the former is clearly real, the latter is mostly conjecture at this point.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,006 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

My guess is that they're already using author rank in some form or another. 

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

It seems logical that they would be experimenting with it already.  I'd love to see THAT test data.  :)

#6 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your replies. Here are my thoughts -

Googleplus is used more by techies
Facebook is more fluffy and geared towards stalking ex-girlfiends
Twitter is for chatterboxes

With that said, G+ is Google - meaning that they want to promote G+. Coupled with the fact that GAuthor allows for credibility from authors it should be a no brainer that GAuthor has SEO value.

The more GOOD posts you write, with comments (which must help) and likes etc, then the more Google must surely place on your credibility within your niche and rank your well written linked content.

I work in tech (information security) and we all use Google Plus - in fact - I have an almost zero FB exposure (but I do get some traffic from FB).

What I am saying is simple stuff but surely G+ and GAuthor are joined at the hip - not least because of the <rel=> meta tag......

Im kinda new to G+ and GAuthor so let me know if I am talking sense or just plain BS

There's also a growing belief that Google is going to start using something called "Author Rank" (or maybe it's referred to as AuthorRank).

My hunch is that you are 100000% correct with this Author Rank principle. Is that your term or is that Google's official term - Author Rank?

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

It's a term that's been showing up more and more in articles written by SEOs. Michael mentioned AJ Kohn, and I don't know if he came up with the name, but I think it was his blog (called "Blind Five Year Old," and it should definitely be on your reading list) where I first saw it. In fact, it was probably this post.

If anyone from Google has written anything official about it, it's probably been to say that it doesn't exist (yet).

#8 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

My biggest hope is that Google Author really does respect that it is my original content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!