• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Image Gallery With Captions - Natural Or Spam?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm working on a services page for 'widgets'. An important part of the business is displaying an image gallery showing various adaptations or implementations.  I set up each image with a caption option.  The widgets have been handed to me without captions, so the caption defaults to the filename, widget.1.jpg, etc which is not overly meaningful.

A few might be green or yellow, some made out of metal or wood, but in effect the captions will not be overly unique.  With the captions you'll see something like:

red widget

red wooden widget

yellow metal widget

yadda...

On a page with 100 widgets you might see 'red wooden widget" repeated 10 times.

Q1: Although it is a natural way to describe each picture, might it be considered a spamming technique and incur G wrath?

Q2: Feedback? Better implementation ideas? floodgates open

• 4shiksha likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Anything and everything can be a "spamming" technique.

It is what it is, a gallery of similar images with what is going to be duplicated words,, now if the words were repeated a THOUSAND times it might be a problem,  but ten or so, that probably won't even raise a marker.

Go to B&Q or Home Depot and count how many time 'screw' or 'screws'  appears in the text.

• 4shiksha likes this

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I had ecommerce sites in the back of my mind when I clicked Post on the post.  You said a thousand times, I understand this quantity is somewhat nebulous.  For this particular page with 50-75 pictures you will probably see widget repeated 50 times for  each caption (indexable captions, not JS) with the occasional red, yellow, wooden breaking the monotony.  I would imagine there are probably millions of sites with galleries and captions named like 'widget.1.jpg'.

The goal of course is to get the page indexed and ranked, not interpreted as spam and dumped into the spammer's wastebasket.  How do you gauge G's interpretation of the limit?

I hear reasonable and natural. This seems natural but borderline reasonable - or am I once again overthinking.

• 4shiksha likes this

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I doubt you're in danger (although I'm not going to guess at some numerical limit that's going to raise a flag with Google), but I also don't think having the word "widget" on the page 50 times is going to be helpful in getting organic traffic to the page. It's also not going to be of any help to people looking at the page, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the captions there in the first place.

It would help if 1) there's text on the page in addition to all of the image captions (and I'm assuming there will be) and 2) you can convince the folks you're doing this for that having something of value to put in the captions is going to make a significant difference, and the more information they can give you the better. Even if they only give you something to put in 10% of the captions, I think that will help you in the search engines, even if it still leaves the page with a B- at best on usability.

• Jill likes this

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I doubt you're in danger (although I'm not going to guess at some numerical limit that's going to raise a flag with Google), but I also don't think having the word "widget" on the page 50 times is going to be helpful in getting organic traffic to the page. It's also not going to be of any help to people looking at the page, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the captions there in the first place.

Yes I understand this and it is itching in my mind.

It would help if 1) there's text on the page in addition to all of the image captions (and I'm assuming there will be) and 2) you can convince the folks you're doing this for that having something of value to put in the captions is going to make a significant difference, and the more information they can give you the better. Even if they only give you something to put in 10% of the captions, I think that will help you in the search engines, even if it still leaves the page with a B- at best on usability.

Yes yes yes. 

This is not designed as a gallery page only but as a service page in which the images really do do a good job of talking to the service.  There is some general information about the service on the page sharing space with the gallery.  I'm lacking in that I'm not a subject matter expert in 'widgets' and certainly not the specifics of each widget. In mentioning this to the BO, he retorts, "put something in there", accurate or not, and this is a challenge for me.  In other words, he is not really into helping me along the path.

Yes I have considered leaving some empty, no captions. 

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Or use the repetitive parts as headers, and only include the descriptives in the caption.

So for instance, the header might be

Widgets

And under that you'd have pictures with captions like "Yellow metal", "Red plastic", "Green with little shiny bits", etc.

--Torka :propeller:

#7 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

That as well was on my mind, I didn't quite go to that length, but I did drop out the widgets word out of a number of the captions and will prune out a few more.

Another element in the mix is the service description on the page. The descriptive text is fine. Then I go on with a bullet list of the various widget types we offer, all of them being valid, relevant key phrases:

• green widgets
  • round-corner widgets
  • purple widgets
  • widget operator
  • indoor widgets
  • etc

I could apply the same method you describe to the list with color, type headings, etc but I feel the full expression, key phrase, is important.  In this case, let's assume the list is 20-25 in length. With a few I may be able to add a line of text, not much though. Over...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!