• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo Disaster - Can Wordpress Rescue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HubUK

HubUK

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

My web site is one of the disaster stories from Google Panda. I spent over a year trying to stop the rot but in the end had to give up and go out and get a manual job working nights. How bad is that?

Anyway I am not someone to give up, especially as the site has 5,000 pages. Before Google Panda I could get pages to the top of Google at the drop of a hat. Take "How to make Yorkshire Puddings". Only a few years ago I noticed there were no UK sites getting listed in the top 10 results (with one weird exception). A short rewrite and my page was there for a few years, until along came Panda. I have no idea how far down the results it now is. The same story is repeated right across the site with only a few exceptions.

I have not been able to come up with any answers and neither have the people I know who also run big independent (former amateurs?) recipe and cooking sites. But someone did say to me that WordPress as a CMS might be the way forward. I am now actively working to this end but I do wonder if I will be wasting my time. It's not as if it is a quick fix with over 5,000 pages to do but if at the end it should bring back some of my traffic I will consider it worthwhile plus that will be encouragement to grow the site further.

It started as a hobby, became my living for five years, and if need be it will continue as a hobby.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether WordPress would make Google happier over my traditional Dreamweaver HTML site?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,789 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether WordPress would make Google happier over my traditional Dreamweaver HTML site?

Nope! all website URLs  are HTML when it gets to search engines indexers.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

I suggest you participate in the discussions here for a few weeks.  Ask questions (not about your site but about SEO in general).  Think about the replies you get; don't just respond to them.  You will receive a variety of opinions.  Ask people why they feel the way they do.

That won't solve your problem but it will help you get to know this community better, it will help them to get to know you better, and it will help you get to the point where you can ask for a site review.

I think you should follow that plan.

#4 thx1138

thx1138

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Funnily enough I have literally just, in the last few days changed from my stale old Dreamweaver created site to a Wordpress/Woocommerce one.

I also transferred my site to another hosting company which I was terrified of doing but it actually went without a hitch.

Google has now indexed the new site and as far as I can tell for the keyword searches I was familiar with haven't changed a great deal.

It's too early to see whether traffic has changed much but I do have a much better looking, easier to maintain site and actually feel renergised about the whole process.

I was also pleasantly suprised with how easy the process was but am so far disappointed with any resultant SEO benefits.

I should point out that the site before was seriously outdated, very little CSS and the wide use of tables for positioning.  To be honest nothing on it had really changed for about 6 years and in that time I'd made no attempts at SEO of any kind yet it hung on tenaciously in the SERPS until the last three months or so.

Charlie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!